Why is Ableton so slow on audio reading?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FurkanTopal

Why is Ableton so slow on audio reading?

Post by FurkanTopal » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:37 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug2ujtvPP8A

I just shot this video to show you what I'm experiencing. I switched to Ableton approximately a year ago from FL Studio and never looked back, I'm not regretful. But there's something unusual with Ableton and that really frustrates me. It reads the audio files so slow and when you load group stem files, well, you're done. Wait wait wait. Then ok, finally the steam files are read but as warped wrongly, ok, no worries, select all and unwarp them but still it reads each stem track differently. Isn't this abnormal and wack?

Please watch the video. And shoutout to Ableton team, please make something about this. Otherwise Bitwig is pretty appetizing and inviting... And I pretty got used with Ableton's ecosystem, I got merches, Push 3, Max for Live plugins etc but there are some things that I can't overlook.

agamben

Re: Why is Ableton so slow on audio reading?

Post by agamben » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:35 pm

Haven't watched the whole video but try perhaps to go in the preferences and change the default warping behaviour for long files to 'unwarped'

Also make sure you select the right (audio) driver and buffer settings

Use wav files of the same samplerate as your project

lapieuvre

Re: Why is Ableton so slow on audio reading?

Post by lapieuvre » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:33 pm

It takes time because Live is analyzing every stem. Like agamben said in the previous post, just go in preferences -> Record Warp Launch tab

Loop/Warp short samples set it to "Unwarped one shot"

Auto-Warp long samples set it to "off"

And try again, your problem is solved (Make sure to delete the old .asd files in your stems folder)
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo