for the love of god...

Discuss Push with other users.
frankkkk

for the love of god...

Post by frankkkk » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:49 pm

FIX WIRELESS TRANSFER ON P3SA

This is an abomination. I've paid 2k for a device that simply does not work.

I have wasted hours of my life trying to send projects and samples from my laptop to the P3 and it just DOESN'T WORK.

This device is simply NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE, I feel conned. I'm such a huge Ableton fan and love the Push as a standalone device but it is ridiculous that I cannot transfer files.

I have to restart Ableton multiple times just to get Push "visible" and connected in Live, then when I'm finally connected, I can't even transfer a 600kb project file without it failing at 8%. What the fk is this? What on earth were they thinking not to allow transfer over a cable?

They have lost their minds and I am losing mine, having wasted hours of my life on a device that cannot transfer files. The most SIMPLE F**KING TASK. Absolute Joke.

...FYI I'm sat next to the router with my laptop and the Push. Is anyone else having this problem of it my device faulty?

drez

Re: for the love of god...

Post by drez » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:38 am

I'd wager you could set your push on TOP of your router and then your laptop on top of THAT and it still won't work. The problem is most likely your router itself. Various people have reported the same issue. Different WiFi routers are causing issues with the sharing between the P3S and the laptop. Couple of things to try:

1. Make your topic not be "for the love of god" but actually what your problem is.
2. Try tethering both your laptop and your P3S through your phone.
3. Try a USB ethernet adapter and cable plugged into your P3S and into your router.
4. Try a different router.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

frankkkk

Post by frankkkk » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:04 am

appreciate the reply, thanks.

i have already tried 2 without success.
And your other suggestions I have seen in other threads when researching answer but they are such ridiculous workarounds, why should I have to go to those lengths to achieve the most BASIC of tasks on a £2k device. Do you have any hope they will allow/add transfer over cable in the near future? The wireless thing is a nice idea if it works but clearly it’s absolute garbage.

drez

Post by drez » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:19 pm

frankkkk wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:04 am
appreciate the reply, thanks.

i have already tried 2 without success.
And your other suggestions I have seen in other threads when researching answer but they are such ridiculous workarounds, why should I have to go to those lengths to achieve the most BASIC of tasks on a £2k device. Do you have any hope they will allow/add transfer over cable in the near future? The wireless thing is a nice idea if it works but clearly it’s absolute garbage.
It’s not “absolute garbage” because for many it works fine, like myself. When I get a chance I’ll wireshark the connection and see if there’s anything specific about the handshake between the two that might be causing the problem. Again, it’s not “always Abletons fault” because different network vendors implement support for various protocols differently.

At first blush, I’m guessing a broadcast or DNS issue.
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

frankkkk

Post by frankkkk » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:57 pm

The concept of wi-fi only file transferring is “absolute garbage”, what were they thinking not to allow file transfer over cable. I don’t know what drugs they were on when they made that decision but it surely wasn’t the good kind.

i managed to get hotspot to work eventually by doing a magic combination of restarting my phone, wi-fi, laptop, ableton multiple times, and it was more stable but still completely unreliable.

hopefully they will update to allow cable transfer, it’s the only logical solution to help the unlucky ones like myself.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:06 pm

That'd be great if you could report to Support with details about your configuration so the devs can collect more info about specific setups and improve on the thing.
Ableton Forum Moderator

whatisnotrue

Post by whatisnotrue » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:39 am

While my wifi transfer works just fine, it is silly to not have cable transfer as an option. I don't understand the advantage of omitting such a feature, especially since it has a USB port for audio and control anyways.....

drez

Post by drez » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:04 am

I think the USB port gets taken over for MIDI, so its function is completely different in Standalone. That's my theory, at least.

bouke

Post by bouke » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:45 pm

Not really. A USB drie does get mounted, but not visible inside your Push. I've made a workaround that allows you to mount it, but it does require some setting up. Once done it works like a charm though. Check out this post here: viewtopic.php?p=1817394#p1817394

But I agree it should work out of the box.

Alternatively, as mentioned before, you can actually connect a USB to an Ethernet converter if your Wifi isn't reliable - that's 'over the cable'.

binarysun

Post by binarysun » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:16 pm

drez wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:04 am
I think the USB port gets taken over for MIDI, so its function is completely different in Standalone. That's my theory, at least.
If it’s really like this, then that is a bug imho. With my MPC I route a midi interface, and audio interface and all internal disks to and from a PC at the same time over one USB cable. Never understand why Push 3 is so limited here. One of the reasons I gave it back because I don’t need a Proof of Concept device.