Live 12 - Do we have keyboard shortcut remapping yet?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jezric

Live 12 - Do we have keyboard shortcut remapping yet?

Post by jezric » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:13 am

I really hope that keyboard shortcut remapping (quality of life) is part of Live 12. Things such as remapping the quantize keyboard shortcut, which as it is, is too much of a stretch to do from the left side of the keyboard (on Win10), and show/hide plugin windows, same deal.

Sadly, I have seen nothing about this in any of the Live 12 demos.

With a focus on accessibility (which is called out in almost every demo), I would be surprised to not see this sort of functionality.

Anyone know anything here, or have opinions?

jezric

Re: Live 12 - Do we have keyboard shortcut remapping yet?

Post by jezric » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:24 am

Reading through the release notes, I see there are TONS of new shortcuts in support of better accessibility, which is great. But no word on customizing any of this. So... I am going to assume, it's all hard-coded...

Guess we all (who care) need to keep using AutoHotKey to hack the keyboard shortcuts. :(

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:52 am

There are no user definable shortcuts in Live 12.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:26 am

A slight tangent: Is there a keyboard shortcut for the little tiny arrow which opens up the full interface of synths like wavetable? I have reduced dexterity these days and hitting that little tiny bastard is a real pain. My mouse hand isn't very accurate anymore so it's like a very un fun game.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:40 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:26 am
A slight tangent: Is there a keyboard shortcut for the little tiny arrow which opens up the full interface of synths like wavetable? I have reduced dexterity these days and hitting that little tiny bastard is a real pain. My mouse hand isn't very accurate anymore so it's like a very un fun game.
Nope.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:54 pm

[jur] wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:40 pm
Angstrom wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:26 am
Nope.
Ah. This is why it's good that I'm not on the closed beta, because I'd have made such a stink about that.

I would probably have used the words "usability "accessibility " and "absurd" far too many times, and I'd get really sarcastic about it when there was no sign of anyone understanding why thats a problem . And everyone would be saying "ok, we get it" and I'd say "I'm not sure that you do", and start to explain it in even more long winded terms.

Click here to see the full explanation

But hey. Perhaps people with limited mobility actually enjoy clicking a tiny 10 px by 10px circle to open the main interface of the brand new headline synths. Perhaps that's actually good UX / UI . Perhaps it's not an absurd UI decision? Who can really tell?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:08 pm

The beta test area would certainly benefit from more use of the words beastly and slipshod

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:10 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:54 pm
I would probably have used the words "usability "accessibility " and "absurd" far too many times, and I'd get really sarcastic about it
Well, we would have made a nice band together :lol:
Ableton Forum Moderator

jezric

Post by jezric » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:01 am

Here's a pretty good reference for what's new in the accessibility department.

https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-12-beta/

I think you can use the keyboard to navigate focus to that little triangle button and then invoke it with enter or space or something... Considering you can have many of those in a rack at the same time, which one would the single keyboard shortcut invoke?

I appreciate that they are focusing on accessibility, but customizability seems to not at all be a priority. Maybe someday... At least we can sort of hack it with AutoHotKey, but it's a pain...