Grouping volume control

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Sphinxter

Grouping volume control

Post by Sphinxter » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Is it possible to link/group volume control for severat tracks so I can controll them all at once.

Regards

Sphinxter

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Yes - use a Send/Return track. Just turn up one "Send" knob on each track you want to control the volume of with a single fader. IE - Turn up the Send A knobs. Then use the volume control on the track called Send A to change the volume of all selected tracks...

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:53 pm

or

create a new audio track to act as the group track.

set the output of each of the other tracks to go to the group track, instead of to the master

abletonian

Post by abletonian » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:52 pm

in live 6 its possible to assign multiple controlls to one hardware knob

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:33 am

abletonian wrote:in live 6 its possible to assign multiple controlls to one hardware knob
excellent point!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:55 pm

Do the volumes retain their relative volumes though? Hmmm, I'll have to try this, it's one of my few remaining gripes with Live that you can't group and lower the volume of all tracks at once, much needed for mixdowns...

mercyplease

Re: Grouping volume control

Post by mercyplease » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:59 pm

Sphinxter wrote:Is it possible to link/group volume control for severat tracks so I can controll them all at once.

Regards

Sphinxter
didnt you mean basic and standard grouping of a number of tracks so the volume can be edited on all at the same time. Patch gave you a recommendation that doesnt mention any of the negatives. His method allows you to solo and you will still hear the audio becasue the return tracks operate like a proper sub group except you need to have your send set to pre fade and you cant use the volume sliders of the individual audio track so its a fairly shite workaround. You need to use the sends as volume controlers. The others suggestions were the usual I love ableton suggestions they always add. Basically its bullshit because they cant handle the fact that live has a host of missing basic features.
You can only group audio by sending to an audio track with the monitor on but as soon as you solo one of the grouped tracks you also need to solo the actual group. Its a pain in the fucking arse.
HA HA HA :twisted:

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:01 pm

abletonian wrote:in live 6 its possible to assign multiple controlls to one hardware knob
Get real matey, volumes is not a frequency on some synth you need to fiddle with every five seconds.
AAARGHHHHHH!!!

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:04 pm

longjohns wrote:
excellent point!
Why is it an excellent point? So what if that can be done. Its still not anywhere near PROPER FUCKING GROUPS
Why do you knobs so fucking love the lack of features.
Go and mix a fucking track for christsakes and you will see why groups are needed.
AAARGHHHHHHHHH
AAARGHHHHHHHHH
AAARGHHHHHHHHH
AAARGHHHHHHHHH
AAARGHHHHHHHHH
AAARGHHHHHHHHH
AAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHHAAARGHHHHHHHHH

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:18 pm

You need to chill out man. Yeah it's not ideal but a workaround is better than not having that functionality at all. Sure we all want to see it improved, but acting like a 4 year old throwing a temper tantrum is not going to help the Ableton's see your point of view.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:32 pm

i appreciate it when people post different methods. some methods may be better for different situations.

i must admit, calling it an excellent point probably had more to do with the fact that it hadn't occured to me

Sphinxter

Post by Sphinxter » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:11 am

Soz, been away for a while. Thanks for all the replies.

What I really wanted was some simple feature to assign a track to a group so that if I change the fader on any tracks assigned within that group, the rest of the tracks will follow. Simple feature, but would help a lot.

A work around for now will suffice.

Thx!

jezric

Post by jezric » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:49 am

Amazing that all these years later and still no grouping of controls... Wow.

Yes, you can accomplish all this with track groups. But's a different workflow than all other DAWs.

braduro

Post by braduro » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:27 am

you could use macrobats

boddifoi

Post by boddifoi » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:50 am

Sphinxter wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:11 am
Soz, been away for a while. Thanks for all the replies.

What I really wanted was some simple feature to assign a track to a group so that if I change the fader on any tracks assigned within that group, the rest of the tracks will follow. Simple feature, but would help a lot.

A work around for now will suffice.

Thx!
Hello

If this sounds easy, then have a try :arrow:

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/9650/lex

Volume groups can be assigned on the fly, a master fader will then manage the volume while maintaining relative and distinct values for each track involved.