Live Jam Editing Techniques

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
whatsoup

Live Jam Editing Techniques

Post by whatsoup » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:57 pm

Hi everyone, first post, I think!

I'm still learning but I'm really struggling to find my workflow in Live when it comes to editing long hardware techno jams and I'd love to hear your own way of working and editing long recordings into more focussed tunes.

I've tried a few methods so far and I'm still trying to work out which ones I prefer by getting a good balance of capturing the gradual progression of a Jam, the minor tweaks that blend bars together and the happy accidents but also NOT GOING INSANE chopping up an hour of 10 multitracks :o

Would love to hear how you edit long jams into condensed tracks

extra info - methods I've been trying

I bought a push and I've been recording clips as I go, which seems like a really good way to cut down on the eding later, but I also feel like I'm trying too hard to make perfect clips and risk it sounding loopy.

Currently trying "CTRL+E" on clips in the arrangement view to dice up tracks and drag and edit them on different audio channels. This seems like a bit of a insanity spiral for me, and risks mis-matching modulations between channels if I don't keep them aligned

Highlighting sections of the timeline and "consolidating to new scene" which seems a good balance between the two above.

I can see pros and cons of all, would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks in advance! :wink: