Novation LaunchKey Hardware Problem

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
Gral

Novation LaunchKey Hardware Problem

Post by Gral » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:44 pm

My relatively new midi controller (Novation Launchkey 49, 6 months old) is suddenly behaving strangely without anything having been changed. Yesterday it was ok, today it's not.

It affects the 8 rotary knobs at the top left. When one of the knobs is moved, the display shows the CC number and the corresponding value. That's how it should be.

Now, since yesterday, knob 1 displays completely wild values when I change it. When turning it up from min. to max., values from 0 - 127 should be displayed continuously. This no longer happens. The display jumps to random values. At the max. stop, for example, the value 45 (or a completely different value) is displayed instead of 127. It is similar to an old radio where the volume control scratches and you can no longer adjust the volume properly. Nevertheless, the expected values are transmitted correctly to the DAW. Only the value shown on the display is not correct.

But that's not all. If you manage to display a value of 127 with knob 1, the other knobs (2 - 8) work completely normally. The displayed CC number and the transmitted value are shown correctly in the display. However, if you set a value other than 127 with knob 1 and then move one of the other knobs, the CC number of the first knob is always shown on the display and the corresponding values are just as confused as if you had turned knob 1.

Regardless of the display, however, the CC number and the corresponding value are sent correctly to the DAW. In other words, you can work with it as usual. Only the values shown on the Launchkey display may not be correct. You can live with it, but I still don't like it.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this? Does it get worse over time? I do use the values shown on the display, so it annoys me.

By the way, the problem has nothing to do with Ableton or any other DAW. It also exists when the controller is only supplied with power and has no connection to anything. So it's purely a Launchkey problem.

Greetings

Gral
Last edited by Gral on Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

S4racen

Re: Novation LaunchKey Hardware Problem

Post by S4racen » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:56 pm

Get yourself an compressed air duster and give it a good blow....

Cheers
D

Gral

Post by Gral » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:17 am

Yes, it would be nice if life were that simple.

What I'm actually interested in is whether it's just me who has the problem or whether it's something that happens more often.

Gral

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:45 pm

Are you using Absolute or Relative control? Relative control has behavior similar to this, as it just tells the software how fast you’re turning the knob Up or Down. It’s not about a specific CC value. This is usually in continuous encoders. If it is one that doesn’t rotate endlessly, then I could be wrong.

Alternatively, other encoders could be kind or having ghost movements. Causing the display to update values of other controls While you are trying to use a control.

Gral

Post by Gral » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:18 am

It is definitely a hardware problem. If I press down on the knob with relatively strong pressure, it behaves normally. Without pressure, it generates confused values. Either the potentiometer is defective or there is a faulty solder joint.

I'll see if I can get it fixed under warranty.

Best regards

Gral

Gral

Post by Gral » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:40 pm

I'm getting a new device. I've just clarified this with the supplier.

Gral