Maddening dropouts

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
VooDooGenic

Maddening dropouts

Post by VooDooGenic » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:13 pm

hi all, and thanks in advance.

i have a maddening issue of random dropouts in what i think it a fairly straightforward project. the project will play and then randomly drop instruments for a couple of seconds, then it'll be okay for a while, then drop a couple more seconds, etc.

i can't for the life of me solve this. in terms of hardware, i can't imagine my PC is being stressed:

12700K.
64GB of RAM.
fast NVME drive.
the file is being stored on a QNAP NAS (fast SSD), and the problem occurs even if i move the file to the local drive for testing.
CPU usage never gets past 20% max

Windows 11 Pro x64
Ableton 11 Suite
about 12 instrument tracks total, so not that complicated
i do have some Waves Plugins, and Audio Imperia Nucleus Lite
Windows Power Plan set the "High Performance"
ASIO4ALL with diff Buffers sizes up to 1024 tried to no avail

any help would be greatly appreciated.

VooDooGenic

Re: Maddening dropouts

Post by VooDooGenic » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:26 pm

sorry - to add, the same problems occur when i open the project from other PC that has even more muscle.

Studio-ES

Post by Studio-ES » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:24 am

Could it be ASIO4ALL?

You're not using an audio interface with a dedicated ASIO driver?

VooDooGenic

Post by VooDooGenic » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:07 am

Studio-ES wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:24 am
Could it be ASIO4ALL?

thank you for your reply. yes, i've had the same problem with an audio interface with a dedicated ASIO driver.

so after many, many hours of troubleshooting, i think i've found the culprit. i have some Waves plugins that use a flash drive for the licensing. i believe it developed some errors over time. i moved all the Waves licensing to a brand new flash drive that is much faster (and a more reliable brand), and the gremlins seems to have disappeared.

what a pain in the neck.

Studio-ES

Post by Studio-ES » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:18 am

Ah Waves, what a pain it is managing their plugins, licensing, and updates. My Waves V9.92 plugins still work on Windows 11, cross my fingers.

But that's good news for you. Happy recording!

VooDooGenic

Post by VooDooGenic » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:44 am

VooDooGenic wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:07 am
Studio-ES wrote:
Could it be ASIO4ALL?

thank you for your reply. yes, i've had the same problem with an audio interface with a dedicated ASIO driver.

so after many, many hours of troubleshooting, i think i've found the culprit. i have some Waves plugins that use a flash drive for the licensing. i believe it developed some errors over time. i moved all the Waves licensing to a brand new flash drive that is much faster (and a more reliable brand), and the gremlins seems to have disappeared.

what a pain in the neck.
now i have a secondary suspect - TrackSpacer. and yes - all my stuff is paid for and legit.

VooDooGenic

Post by VooDooGenic » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:34 pm

VooDooGenic wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:44 am
VooDooGenic wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:07 am
Studio-ES wrote:
Could it be ASIO4ALL?

what a pain in the neck.
now i have a secondary suspect - TrackSpacer. and yes - all my stuff is paid for and legit.
sry, i should walk that back. TrackSpacer had not yet been activated. just wondering out loud - because of the pirating, i'm wondering if non-authorized plugins "phone home" or otherwise introduce some glitches...

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:01 pm

I have a M1 Pro MBP and on some sessions I’ve got strange CPU spikes. I don’t have any cracked plugins.
But I have also a lot of plugins and I know some of them are making problems because I’ve got issues only when they are in the set (mainly Plug-in Alliance and Native instruments plugins)
It’s truly a pain in the ass to maintain a stable setup when you use hundred of plugins.
I feel your pain.
Do you think Waves plugins could cause issues even when not used in a session ?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:44 pm

Calagan wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:01 pm
I have a M1 Pro MBP and on some sessions I’ve got strange CPU spikes. I don’t have any cracked plugins.
But I have also a lot of plugins and I know some of them are making problems because I’ve got issues only when they are in the set (mainly Plug-in Alliance and Native instruments plugins)
It’s truly a pain in the ass to maintain a stable setup when you use hundred of plugins.
I feel your pain.
Known issues there, I don't know specifically about the PA ones, but NI had some dodgy updates to Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt recently, then patched them and released new updates. So update your NI plugins with Service Center etc.

There are still plugins that use heavy resources I own that haven't received updates for Sonoma and Ventura etc. Amplitube, MPC 2, and PA plugins, Arturia still say to hold off upgrading to Sonoma etc. etc.

Things "calmed down" but there is some growing pains.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:46 pm

Oh, and if you own any amount of PA plugins, their product manager is a PITA since it doesn't tell you which plugins are out of date. I just update all of them if I find one of them is behind on updates, since that's an easy choice with them.

VooDooGenic

Post by VooDooGenic » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:09 am

Calagan wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:01 pm
I feel your pain.
i don't think so, and it would be irresponsible of me to say that i suspect they would. i know that they've gotten a lot of hate in the past for the subscription fiasco, but i will give them credit for the ability for the licenses to be portable (via flash drive). i have two PC's and a laptop, and the flash drive model allows me to use the plugins on the laptop when i'm away from home.

but i think you bring up a good point. i'm like many other people here - way, way, too many plugins. and when you have that many moving parts, god help you if something breaks - it becomes a nightmare process of eliminating/re-introducing plugins. maybe that's just the nature of the beast.

anyway, thank you for your feedback.