Using the Ipad as Midi Generator for Push3S - can't get the connection work

Discuss Push with other users.
RainerG

Using the Ipad as Midi Generator for Push3S - can't get the connection work

Post by RainerG » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:04 pm

I would like to use some IPad Midi Generators (Scaler, Euclidean Sequencer, ...) via AUM to send midi messages to the P3S. Unfortunately AUM doesn't show any P3S MidiInterfaces either as Input or Output. I tried the USB-C and USB-A connection of the P3S as Input for the Ipad. Any idea on how to connect both devices so I can use the Ipad to generate midi notes for P3S? Thanks, Rainer

PS: Please don't tell me that I have to use midi cables :)

Just_Pierre

Re: Using the Ipad as Midi Generator for Push3S - can't get the connection work

Post by Just_Pierre » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:42 pm

Yes, you do need midi cables and a audio interface to connect the iPad to the Push 3. But it also can via Bluetooth. I bought the CME WiDi Jack and connect that to the midi in- and output of the Push (it's powered by the Push 3), and connect that way to my iPad. This way you can use AUM via bluetooth, amd the latency is very low.

https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-jack/

RainerG

Post by RainerG » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:15 pm

Just_Pierre wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:42 pm
Yes, you do need midi cables and a audio interface to connect the iPad to the Push 3. But it also can via Bluetooth. I bought the CME WiDi Jack and connect that to the midi in- and output of the Push (it's powered by the Push 3), and connect that way to my iPad. This way you can use AUM via bluetooth, amd the latency is very low.

Thanks for this - I own a CME WIDI Master ... didn't think that it could be powered by Push and as such will work ... but if the CMW WiDi Jack will so maybe the WIDI Master also will ... I give it a try and will the forum know. Thanks!

RainerG

Post by RainerG » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:54 pm

RainerG wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:15 pm
Just_Pierre wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:42 pm

Thanks for this - I own a CME WIDI Master ... didn't think that it could be powered by Push and as such will work ... but if the CMW WiDi Jack will so maybe the WIDI Master also will ... I give it a try and will the forum know. Thanks!
Just tested. CME WIDI Master also works like a charm!

Still wondering how Someone on another forum achieved the connection through USB: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/5687 ... -with-ipad

Would be great if you could share ideas!

elbows

Post by elbows » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:27 pm

RainerG wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:54 pm
Just tested. CME WIDI Master also works like a charm!

Still wondering how Someone on another forum achieved the connection through USB: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/5687 ... -with-ipad

Would be great if you could share ideas!
On that forum they are talking about a different scenario - using the Push 3 in controller mode as a simplistic MIDI controller for ipad apps, the opposite of what you are talking about . In that mode the Push just becomes a fairly basic MIDI controller, and without special software that knows the Push the pads wont light up and the screen wont show anything. Via a simple USB connection the ipad can see the controller mode Push as a USB class compliant MIDI device, but the same is not true the other way around, ipads dont show up as USB class complaint MIDI devices when connected to USB host ports of other devices.

braduro

Post by braduro » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:34 am

How is push 3 powering the widi, or using Widi Master for that matter? Push uses 3.5mm midi ports, does it not? I thought that would rule out both output power as well as that particular device. Widi Jack would do the trick. The nifty thing would be that you could probably tap into the USB port to power it.

elbows

Post by elbows » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:14 pm

braduro wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:34 am
How is push 3 powering the widi, or using Widi Master for that matter? Push uses 3.5mm midi ports, does it not? I thought that would rule out both output power as well as that particular device. Widi Jack would do the trick. The nifty thing would be that you could probably tap into the USB port to power it.
Using jacks rather than DIN midi connections is not a guide as to whether those MIDI ports can provide enough power to make WIDI dongles run without getting power from elsewhere. I dont remember whether I tried it with the Push 3, but I've certainly used Widi Jack with several different pieces of hardware that used 3.5mm for MIDI and the Widi Jack got all the power it needed, I didnt have to use its additional power port connected to USB at all. So the connector type isnt a good guide on its own, you need users reported experiences to find out if a particular device sends enough power over its MIDI ports to power a WIDI device. Theres a user-contributed spreadsheet online that lists many of these experiences.

Nothing I said there was meant to contradict your point about how you would physically connect the Widi Master to the Push 3 though, since indeed the Push 3 doesnt have DIN connectors. Maybe some additional adaptors/cables were involved or they meant to name a different WIDI device. Aside from the Widi Jack, you could also use the Widi Bud Master since the Push 3 has a USB host port.

braduro

Post by braduro » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:51 am

that's encouraging, elbows.
I have a handful of these options now, and it's good to know that the widi jack isn't by definition going to necessarily need 5v through a separate cable.
As for the push being able to utilize the Bud, my mind is not ready to let that sink in. I'm having a tricky time grasping the further reaching implications of where to deploy these things: midi interfaces vs midi host vs midi thru, and figuring out where, if any, am I good with using a cable, what is inevitably speaking to what, etc.

I don't have a complicated setup, but
I've got some guitar pedals that can accept midi.

Here's that compatibility doc you mentioned:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0