MIDI Note Slicing

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
pottering

Re: MIDI Note Slicing

Post by pottering » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:10 pm

I meant at the Insert Mark (maybe cutting at both start and end of time selection as well).
♥♥♥

avetisk

Post by avetisk » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:48 pm

Still no slicing :'(

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:22 am

avetisk wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:48 pm
Still no slicing :'(
Probably not what you want but,

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/5821/slice-notes

Erdbenutzer

Post by Erdbenutzer » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:57 pm

Please give us the slicing options Fl Studio has in its piano roll !!!
That would be so awesome to have in Live.

pezzner

Post by pezzner » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:35 pm

Just fueling this thread... I would love to see this implemented in future versions of Ableton

Matech

Post by Matech » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:54 am

While I was writing a reply to this post I actually found a way that you are able to do this (kinda... maybe not according to everyone's standards) in Live!

So you have to have the clip selected, then in the piano roll you select the notes you want sliced with your mouse. Now you will see that the section they belong to from the midi clip will be highlighted. You now click on the right side of the track panel (where the track number or assigned name is) and click CMD-E and you have sliced/split those notes. You may also want to right click on the midi clip with the mouse and select Split. Ovbiously more advanced options would be great like having the cutting of a long midi clip streamlined.

oscarstott

Post by oscarstott » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:43 pm

This idea is truly essential, and it baffles me that it hasn't been implemented yet. It would be wonderful if this feature could not only be available for MIDI but also for clips. Imagine how convenient it would be to do all the slicing in the clip view, without having to constantly switch to the arrangement view. :x

Many other DAWs already follow this approach, and it would be fantastic to see it incorporated here as well.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:42 pm

oscarstott wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:43 pm
This idea is truly essential, and it baffles me that it hasn't been implemented yet. It would be wonderful if this feature could not only be available for MIDI but also for clips. Imagine how convenient it would be to do all the slicing in the clip view, without having to constantly switch to the arrangement view. :x

Many other DAWs already follow this approach, and it would be fantastic to see it incorporated here as well.
I'd be surprised if this isn't included in Ableton 12 (and probably with some extra twists), as Ableton implemented pretty good MPE editing and most other basic piano roll functions.

I'm thinking 12 will probably have some piano roll enhancements and MPE.

Serafin S.

Post by Serafin S. » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:27 pm

I know it's not slicing, but if you just want to shorten a long note, you can use draw mode to cut the tail of a midi note.

markcq

Post by markcq » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:21 pm

Apparently it's coming in Live 12. :D
  • Holding E will allow you to slice a midi note where you click (if the midi keyboard is turned on then use ⇧E or turn the midi keyboard off).
  • ⌘E slice the note to the grid.
  • ⌥E click and drag on the midi note to make equal length segment slices in the note.
  • ⌘J to join notes.