Poly~ in standalone?

Discuss Push with other users.
Aqueum

Poly~ in standalone?

Post by Aqueum » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:10 pm

Hi All

I seem to be unable to get M4L Poly~ instruments to work in Push Standalone.

In this example the first two tracks use Poly~ and play perfectly in controller mode but, while the dials work in standalone, they remain silent.
The third track "ultrabasic" doesn't use Poly~ and works in both controller and standalone modes.

Is this a known issue, or do you have any ideas where I'm going wrong?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Poly~ in standalone?

Post by [jur] » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:30 am

Are you talking about the Poli synth from the Creative Extensions pack?
Because [poly~] in Max is something on its own, so your question is a bit confusing atm.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Aqueum

Post by Aqueum » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:05 am

Thanks @jur

I tried to clarify this by using the tilde, I mean poly~ as used in Max for Live to create a polyphonic synth. I can get my monophonic M4L synths to work fine but not the polyphonic ones using poly~.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:30 am

Ok, thx for clarifying :wink:
I'm not aware of this issue. I'm far from remembering and knowing about all bugs, but I've played with several polyphonic M4L synths on Standalone without issue. I'd have to look at them, but there's a high chance they're using [poly~].
Did you try and check some M4L synths from Ableton Packs?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Aqueum

Post by Aqueum » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:39 am

Thanks, I haven’t tried any M4L synths other than my own. That’s a good idea, I’ll give it a go.

Aqueum

Post by Aqueum » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:33 pm

Sorry it took a while to do that test, but the results are very disturbing: I added 'Bell Tower' to the set. Not only does it not make any sound (again the only track that makes sound in Standalone mode is the one without any poly~) but every time I enter that track it crashes Push, which says:
Live unexpectedly quit while you were working on the Live Set 'PushTest.als'. Would you like to recover your work?
Here's the project, should anyone wish to have a look: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/jhhok7ej ... 2nnn1&dl=0

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:26 pm

No problem here with Bell Tower.amxd, nor other example instrument from the same Pack, or other M4L instrument.
But I'm running the beta Push version, so that might play a role here.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Aqueum

Post by Aqueum » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:48 am

Thanks @jur - great idea, I've just installed the beta too in the hopes that would fix it (11.3.20b7) but unfortunately exactly the same thing happens. My poly~ instruments make no noise, my non poly~ instruments do, Bell Tower.amxd (with my addition of a live.bank) doesn't make any noise and then it crashes the Push. I'll try Bell Tower.amxd vanilla without a live.bank next in a stand alone project and see if that makes any difference.

Aqueum

Post by Aqueum » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:59 am

Nailed it (I think)

I hadn't frozen the M4L devices. I'm totally new to M4L, so don't know why that killed the poly~ containing instruments and not the other one, but I imagine it would all make sense to an expert... Confirmation of that assumption would be great though!