Ableton PC sees Push 3! but web browser can't link to it??

Discuss Push with other users.
vjfranzk

Ableton PC sees Push 3! but web browser can't link to it??

Post by vjfranzk » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:18 am

Got Push 3 on wi-fi and updated firmware. Great.
So I downloaded a beat made on Push 3 standalone to my PC and played it on Live 11, great!

But PC browsers Firefox and Chrome on the same Wi-Fi can't see Push 3, at
http://push.local/authorize

Now what?
VjFranzK - Audio / Visual Entertainment, News and Reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/vjfranzk - My YouTube Channel.
Subscribe! for weekly amusement.

Video Reviewer for:

NoiseBug.net Analog Synths and More! in LA, USA

SonicState.com - Electronic Music News in the UK

vjfranzk

Re: Ableton PC sees Push 3! but web browser can't link to it??

Post by vjfranzk » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:08 am

HELP! 8O I have tried this many times, and cannot authorize my Ableton Suite.

I am ambivalent about the amazing Push 3, that doesn't quite perform as I hoped it would so far, and may actually Return it.

I am nearing the end of my Return Time, and I want to at least experience what it is like to record more than 8 tracks! before making this important decision
I am a registered user of Ableton Live Suite, and should be able to do this.

What could be going wrong with the Authorization system?

Video Reviewer for:

Just_Pierre

Post by Just_Pierre » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:47 am

if both are on the same WiFi network than it looks like a DNS issue. Try to find out on your modem/router what the ip-address of the Push 3 is, and type in the browsr the following url : 'ip-adress push3/authorize'

vjfranzk

CANT AUTHORIZE? Re: Ableton PC sees Push 3! but web browser can't link to it??

Post by vjfranzk » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:37 am

Thank you for this suggestion! What software tool might you suggest for doing this? on Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Of course, it is SO odd, because I've already exchanged song data between the PC and Push 3! It's just the Authorization which is drawing a blank
Just_Pierre wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:47 am
if both are on the same WiFi network than it looks like a DNS issue. Try to find out on your modem/router what the ip-address of the Push 3 is, and type in the browsr the following url : 'ip-adress push3/authorize'

Video Reviewer for:

Just_Pierre

Re: CANT AUTHORIZE? Re: Ableton PC sees Push 3! but web browser can't link to it??

Post by Just_Pierre » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:50 am

vjfranzk wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:37 am
Thank you for this suggestion! What software tool might you suggest for doing this? on Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Of course, it is SO odd, because I've already exchanged song data between the PC and Push 3! It's just the Authorization which is drawing a blank
Just_Pierre wrote:
You don't need any tool for this. Open a command prompt on your PC and type 'ipconfig /all', there you will see the ip-address your PC is given. Use that ip-address to authorize Push 3.

Google for 'how do I find my ip-address'

vjfranzk

Post by vjfranzk » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:15 pm

AUTHORIZED! by using a mobile device instead of the PC.
Next time Push 3 was started up, Suite and M4L is active.

unfortunately, wasted a lot of time before trying that other option.

---- Edit: This is what almost worked ---

So, It's not the IP of my PC it wants, It's the IP of the Push standalone. I did find that using a common software tool.

One step closer to working was:

Press the Authorize Button on Push
on PC:
http:// (my push IP) /authorize

Then on PC it asks for another 6 digit pairing number.

I type in this number. It then does something for a minute! and then gives another error:

"This Site Can't be Reached" And doesn't complete authorization.

(We must remember, this is supposed to be an instrument for musicians to use, it should not be this difficult to set up, certainly not more difficult than the laptop it's designed to replace.)
Just_Pierre wrote:

Just_Pierre

Post by Just_Pierre » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:42 pm

Of course I meant the ip-address of the Push 3. Good it's working now.

CH7

Post by CH7 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:36 pm

I had the same issue with wifi on the push, yet not connecting to the laptop on the same router with its ethernet/wifi connection. Luckily i had a usb to ethernet dongle which worked when plugged into the Push 3 USB A port. The instruction videos doesn't show the full procedure involved with entering and confirming the network password. Foolishly this is skipped.

I've authorized the Push yet it still shows Live 11 Intro on the Push software screen, when i have the Live 11 suite authorized on my laptop.

Once again the instruction video cheats by showing Live 11 Suite already on the push as it guides you through the Authorization process. This means the video guide is not an accurate reflection of this process.

Also I really wish there was a simpler way to get the software Packs into the push, eg if there was a procedure to remove the SSD to USB M.2 interface and physically move the Packs data from the Pc to the ssd via a Linux installation partition on the same computer with [windows] Live installed., or by something like DiskGenius.

Having to sit and watch each pack updated to the Laptop and then moved the Push is a real drag. This whole thing could be automated so you select the packs you want and this it batched into the laptop, and similarly batched to the Push.

[EDIT] Solved the issues above.

I had upgraded the SSD from 250gb to 2TB, this required me to delete the /data partition and recreate the partition via Gparted on Linux, to use all of the extra space on the drive. The problem with this is it came with premission errors meaning the Push OS couldn't write the config files it needed to that /data partition.

When i Authorise the PUSH I got the following error -

The file "/data/.local/share/Ableton/Installation.cfg" cannot be opened for writing because it is write-protected. At least this clue was there.

It seems the same write protection prevented the wifi password from being saved along with its config files. There were no other clues to this.
The solution was simple enough, I removed the SSD to an M.2 to USB Dongle, then booted into a Linux installation which allowed me to see the drives.

The following result was found when searching for write-protection faults.

" Open the terminal.
Type sudo chmod 777 /data/ and press Enter. This command will give all users full read, write, and execute permissions to the directory /data/.
If prompted, enter your password and press Enter.
"

In my case, the /data partition was found as /media/<user name>/data . The command was modified to sudo 'chmod -R 777 /media/<user name>/data'.

[where -R recursively sets read/write/execute globally for all the files on that drive. ]

Now with the SSD back in the Push, I did another factory reset, [as other config files from the initial boot won't be where they need to be. ]
I then reauthorized the Push, this time there were no errors. When i rebooted the PUSH it showed "Ableton Live 11 Suite". 1.8tb space available ;)

As a bonus, the Wifi now works.

After allowing me to save the password, the selected network is displayed in green. Once again there were no clues to why this failed before.
I guess drive upgrades and write protection faults were never anticipated. A failure to verify a file write-to-drive could have been followed by the Push OS correcting for that fault.

I hope others find this useful.

#upgraded SSD

CH7

Post by CH7 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:02 pm

vjfranzk wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:18 am
Got Push 3 on wi-fi and updated firmware. Great.
So I downloaded a beat made on Push 3 standalone to my PC and played it on Live 11, great!

But PC browsers Firefox and Chrome on the same Wi-Fi can't see Push 3, at
http://push.local/authorize

Now what?
try Edge instead or use the explorer.