how to select a track (name box) after clicking elsewhere?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slow.robot

how to select a track (name box) after clicking elsewhere?

Post by slow.robot » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:36 pm

is there any way to force the focus to the current track's name box without manually having to click on it with the mouse?

here's my conundrum...I have a Stream Deck set up with a number of small macros to rename tracks. it triggers a Ctrl+R to rename, then enters the predefined track names I want (e.g. 'vox alt prechorus', etc.).

it works fantastically, as long as the track name box is selected first. the problem is, if I click anywhere else, such as within the timeline for the track, or in the instrument/effects section, the macro tries to (understandably) rename something else, such as the effect or the clip.

I also have track navigation set up in the Stream Deck, so I can quickly move track to track. but the focus remains on whatever it was on before I navigate that way, so same problem there.

no big deal as long as I remember to select the track name box first...but I also have other keyboard mappings bound to letters used in the track names--mostly acting like hotkeys to create instances of my most used plugins--which causes a big problem when I forget. so, I trigger a macro without the name box selected, the Ctrl+R 'misses' and it starts typing in all the letters in the name of the track. all of a sudden it's adding all these unwanted plugins because I forgot a step first...and undoing out of that mess can be tricky.