Live + 4i4 3rd gen - chan 1 signal shows on all 6 channel meters

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dewittski

Live + 4i4 3rd gen - chan 1 signal shows on all 6 channel meters

Post by dewittski » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:42 pm

Opened a support issue for this but hoping I may get a faster answer here.

Hardware Config:
Scarlett 4i4 plugged into Mac mini via USB.
MacOS 14.2.
Mic plugged via XLR on front panel input 1 of Scarlett - AIR selected on input 1
Guitar plugged via TRS on front panel input 2 of Scarlett - INST selected on input 2
48v button on

Ableton audio config:
CoreAudio driver selected
Scarlett 4i4 selected as both input and output Input configuration
1& 2, 3& 4, 5 & 6 Mono selected.
Stereo inputs deselected.

Problem scenario:
In live, I have two audio tracks. I use Ext IN + chan 1 on first, Ext IN + chan 2 on second. Using the mic connected to Scarlett input 1, the signal meter shows the mic signal on chan 1 and chan 2 in Track I/O section. Whatever is on input 1 works fine (guitar or mic) and I can record it in Live.

In other words, it's as if Live only sees 1 channel of input even though it knows there are 6 channels and no matter which channel you pick for a track, it always has channel 1's input.

Troubleshooting:
I tried the following configurations.

MIC only in input 1: Registers in Live but shows it on all input channel meters.
Guitar only in input 1: Registers in Live but again shows on all input channel meters.
MIC only in input 2: Does not register in Live on any input channel.
Guitar only in input 2: Does not register in Live on any input channel.

Looking in Focusrite both signals register fine on their separate channels and when I mute inputs with Control I hear the correct ones coming through via monitors and headphones.

UPDATE:

Actually I take back that guitar works fine on input 1. It does _register_ in Live (albeit showing the problem above where it shows on all channel meters). However, when monitoring it via the headphones plugged into the Scarlett (what I do with everything else - MIDI, mic, etc) with "Auto" selected in the Live track and the track armed, it I can barely hear the guitar and when I can it's very crackly. I suppose this may be a separate problem as the Mic on input 1 and channel 1 in Live works just fine, no crackle, records fine, etc. In other words, with guitar on input 1 and channel 1 in Live, signal meter shows the signal on and off and I can barely hear and it's crackly.

I know this is an irritating statement but for what it's worth, this config works "out of the box" in GarageBand. It sees the correct signals on the correct channels.

Thanks,
Scott