Can I record an acoustic piano using a Plugin VST?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
msanjelpie

Can I record an acoustic piano using a Plugin VST?

Post by msanjelpie » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:41 pm

2 weeks ago I asked if I could record my actual acoustic piano into Ableton. After many posts it was decided that I was wording my question wrong and confusing everyone for which I'm sorry about.

I did finally get an answer to my original question and directions on how to record my actual living acoustic piano into Ableton using an AUDIO channel and microphone etc... I followed all of the directions and after several hours of frustration I have finally succeeded. My piano sounds like my piano inside of the software. Pull out the champagne.

SO - the week prior to my first post, I recorded my acoustic piano not in arrangement view, but in session view by dragging over some sample sounds
and having my piano sound like that sample. That led me to believe that I would be able to do that using a plug-in which I then purchased.

I want to do that recording again, BUT, I want to use a plug-in that I purchased instead of the Ableton sample.

My main question now, (since Ableton is not allowing me to drag the plug-in over into any little session boxes) is: 'Is it possible to record my non-midi piano into Ableton using a non-Ableton midi plug-in VST.'

Yes? No? Did I waste my money on the plug-in?

If not, what hoops do I need to jump through to play my non-midi piano and have it sound like the plug-in?

I'm hoping I explained my question correctly; lots of confusion last time.

THANKS to anyone who might know the answer and understand what I'm trying to ask!

Jean
Last edited by msanjelpie on Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Re: Can I record an acoustic piano using a Plugin VST?

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:52 pm

No, you would need some kind of midi controller to play a VST piano. There are some audio to MIDI apps out there, but they are probably not accurate enough for what you are looking for.

msanjelpie

Post by msanjelpie » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:47 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:52 pm
No, you would need some kind of midi controller to play a VST piano. There are some audio to MIDI apps out there, but they are probably not accurate enough for what you are looking for.
Thank you! Saved me a lot of time researching.

login

Post by login » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:23 am

Plug ins are not dropped into the clips you see in session view, they go in the "device view" section, below the mixer, you can drag and drop plugins there.

msanjelpie

Post by msanjelpie » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:43 pm

login wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:23 am
Plug ins are not dropped into the clips you see in session view, they go in the "device view" section, below the mixer, you can drag and drop plugins there.
Thank you. Apparently it doesn't matter where I drag the plug-in as it is some sort of midi file and I am trying to work with an audio file recorded into Ableton Live with a non-midi microphone.

Thanks for you help though.!