Custom Scales for Push 3

Discuss Push with other users.
IsopodGirl

Custom Scales for Push 3

Post by IsopodGirl » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:12 pm

In an incredibly excellent previous thread ( viewtopic.php?t=218098&start=105 ) a solution was found to introducing custom scales to the Push 2 within Live 11 (by the end of the thread).

As others have noted, this same method sadly does not seem to work for the Push 3, even when it is in control mode.

I, myself, am not talented at programming tasks. However, finding information and updates on this matter is difficult from pure searching, so I felt it best to make a thread to attempt to consolidate info at this matter.

In anyone has any info on how to make this same kind of solution work on Push 3, please do post and share. It would be deeply appreciated.

elbows

Re: Custom Scales for Push 3

Post by elbows » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:38 am

There will be two or three reasons/considerations to think about before being able to hope to make this work with Push 3.

1) Different location of files.

They changed how the Push 3 connects to Live, it no longer shows up as a Control surface that requires configuration in the settings. However code in many respects looks similar, if you know where to find it. Some folders etc are still named Push2 once you get inside the Push 3 bundle, but I suspect these are still the ones being used by the Push 3.

For example on mac you need to look inside a Push3 helper bundle to find the files. I dont have Windows version of Live but on the mac the path I have (with latest beta of Live but also same for previous versions I believe) is:

/Applications/Ableton Live 11.3 Beta.app/Contents/Helpers/Push3.app/Contents/Resources/python/Push2

2) MPE pitch bend.

Code to make MPE pitch bends of the correct amount between pads in scales mode is probably done by Live rather than being built into the hardware. Someone will need to find the relevant python code if its done in that part of the system, and make sure any custom scales can also take advantage of this side of the system.

3) Any other code changes.

I never looked into or hacked the python side of the Push 2 so I'm not really the right person to be looking for any other differences that will need to be factored in when attempting to insert custom user scales that work for the Push 3. Maybe I will look into it but we probably need someone with prior knowledge of this area to investigate. It is possible that aside from the aforementioned MPE pitch bend stuff, differences are negligible or non-existent, but I cannot assume that at this stage.

elbows

Post by elbows » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:29 pm

Since my last message I had a bit of a poke around and couldnt make it work in the new location. I can decompile the relevant file and make the changes, but as soon as I add some custom scales things crash.

Either I did something stupid, or some changes to the hack are required, or worst case scenario is that something like the MPE push bends stuff is not in the python side of Live at all (so we cant fiddle with it) and will crash if the list of scales is modified. Someone else will have to figure out which of these possibilities (or something else) is causing the crash.

IsopodGirl

Post by IsopodGirl » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:48 pm

elbows wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:29 pm
Since my last message I had a bit of a poke around and couldnt make it work in the new location. I can decompile the relevant file and make the changes, but as soon as I add some custom scales things crash.
Hey, thank you so much for taking a look into it, even if it didn't end up working out. I know nearly nothing about actually tweaking things on the coding side. While it's disappointing to me, what you said in the previous message about the potential problems arising from the MPE slides makes total sense.

I do wish, as the thread creator, I had more to contribute or help out with back or something useful to say. In any case, I really appreciate the help, and also feel a little more at peace knowing that someone smarter than me has looked into the problem and can pretty conclusively say I wasn't just missing a small issue to make it all come together.

apartyupinhere

Post by apartyupinhere » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:39 am

Any update on how to get custom scales working on the Push 3?

I'm running the controller version with Ableton 11. I don't see Major Blues, and I'd like to have some more options. I have Major Blues on my Ornament and Crime (multi-function module with scale quantization) in my Eurorack setup, so it would be really cool to be able to match the scale on Push 3.