Komplete Kontrol 3 + Ableton knob value issues after changing presets

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
Garion2K

Komplete Kontrol 3 + Ableton knob value issues after changing presets

Post by Garion2K » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:35 pm

After changing presets in Komplete Kontrol, I'm seeing parameter values jump to a significantly different position when turning knobs on my Kontrol S61 mk3 keyboard. For example if the preset's parameter value is 0, a slight turn of the knob on my keyboard instantly changes the value to 100. Multiple knobs are affected, and the values also jump when using the mouse to move the Komplete Kontrol knobs and the knobs in the plugin.

This does not happen when running Komplete Kontrol standalone, and I cannot reproduce it in Logic or Bitwig.

I have turned off all other MIDI controllers and external devices and removed their settings from Ableton to try to rule out any conflict with another device but that didn't make a difference.

Here's some info on my setup: Komplete Kontrol 3.1.0, Kontrol S61 mk3, Komplete 14 CE, macOS Sonoma 14.2.1, Ableton Live 11.3.13 and 12.0b23, Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro. All plugins running in native Apple Silicon mode, using VST3.

It happens with multiple plugins, 1st and 3rd party. I'm able to consistently reproduce it with the following steps.

1) Load the "2 Sided Story" patch in Arturia Augmented GRAND PIANO

2) Twist the first four knobs, they all remain in sync

3) Load the next patch ("80's Heartbreak")

4) Twist the first four knobs, they all remain in sync

5) Load the next patch ("1949 Vinyl Felt")

6) Twist the first four knobs. The values jump on most, if not all 4 of the knobs.

7) Load the next patch ("1981 Digital Harp Piano")

8 ) Twist the first four knobs. The values jump on most, if not all 4 of the knobs.

The same issue happens consistently with MONARK, NOIRE, and many other first and 3rd party plugins from Arturia, KORG, Synapse Audio, GForce. I have not seen it happen with Diva 151015, which includes support for NKS2. But it does happen with REPRO-1 12092 and REPRO-5 12092.

Is anyone else seeing similar behavior?

Garion2K

Re: Komplete Kontrol 3 + Ableton knob value issues after changing presets

Post by Garion2K » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:55 pm

I've narrowed this down to running the VST3 version of Komplete Kontrol in Ableton. The problem doesn't happen when I use the AUv2 version in Ableton. The VST3 version works fine in Bitwig, so the issue appears to be related to how Ableton works with the VST3 plugin.