Push 3 controller pads don’t play external instruments?

Discuss Push with other users.
mikenett

Push 3 controller pads don’t play external instruments?

Post by mikenett » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:59 pm

(solved)
Got my push 3 controller today and I can’t get the pads to play my external gear . I can see midi going from push into live and if I push a key or pad on my external gear the pads on the push light up . Anyone know how to fix this ?
Last edited by mikenett on Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elbows

Re: Push 3 controller pads don’t play external instruments?

Post by elbows » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:05 am

Its the same as how you would get tracks in Ableton to control external gear using any MID controller/keyboard, its nothing really Push 3 specific:

Two different ways to do it:

Go to Lives preferences. Go to the 'Link Tempo MIDI' section. Make sure that in the MIDI ports section, the Out: devices that are connected to your instruments have things like Track ticked.

Then do one of the following:

Add an 'External Instrument' device to an Ableton Live MIDI track, and select the right MIDI interface and MIDI channel (Or select MPE instead of a single channel if your synth supports MPE) in the settings for the 'External Instrument' device.

OR

On an Ableton Live MIDI track, see the MIDI To section for that track and again choose the appropriate MIDI device and channel.

Thats mostly it, but to make sure the track is actively receiving and sending on the MIDI it receives from the Push, you'll probably also want to familiarise yourself with the concept of how track arming and monitoring works in Live.

mikenett

Post by mikenett » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:48 pm

solved the problem , my template was made way before the push 3 . the midi from - all instruments setting wasn't recognising the push 3 as it wasn't there when the template was made .switching it to another instrument then back to all instruments then saving template has fixed it

nsjobuk

Post by nsjobuk » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:28 pm

mikenett wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:48 pm
solved the problem , my template was made way before the push 3 . the midi from - all instruments setting wasn't recognising the push 3 as it wasn't there when the template was made .switching it to another instrument then back to all instruments then saving template has fixed it
Hi there, I might be experiencing a similar issue.

I'm using a template I made about a year ago. The template has several midi tracks with ext. instrument devices. The midi tracks are configured in the following way: MIDI From: 'All Ins' Ch. 9 (for example) Monitor:'In'

The Ext. Instrument device on each midi track is configured in the following way: MIDI To: 'Audio Interface w/ Midi Out' -- Midi Ch. 9

If I understand correctly, you had a similar (if not the same) set up to control various hardware instruments- but Live was not recognizing the Push 3 as an 'In' associated with the 'All Ins' configuration because the template was created before the Push 3 was ever connected to it.

Is the solution to just rebuild the template with the Push 3 connected?