Issue w/ Push 3 controlling external harware

Discuss Push with other users.
nsjobuk

Issue w/ Push 3 controlling external harware

Post by nsjobuk » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:05 pm

Hello :) I've sent the below description of the issue I'm having to Ableton support, but figured I'd also turn to the forum for advice.

In short, I'm attempting to use a Push 3 to control various hardware synths but, instead of being able to simply select the ext. instrument track and play away- I wind up trigger either all synths (midi channels) simultaneously while using the midi track configuration 'From Push' -- or cycling from one instrument to another via each pad press while using the midi track configuration 'All Ins' with a specified midi channel set. :?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

This topic discusses a perhaps similar issue to some extent: viewtopic.php?t=247660

The following message was sent to Ableton support:

I have a fairly detailed hardware template which allows me to control the various instruments in my studio simply by selecting a specified instrument's designated track.

For example, I have a mono synth on an [External Instrument] track receiving midi channel 13 and a poly synth on a different [External Instrument] track receiving midi on channel 9- and so on with several more instances of hardware. To be specific- the track is a midi track set to 'All Ins' transmitting on a specified Midi Channel (i.e. midi ch. 13). The [External Instrument] device is also set to the midi channel of the track output (in this case midi ch. 13).

When using a standard midi controller keyboard this setup works great. I select the track of the hardware instrument I'd like to control and Live will automatically send midi to the desired channel. However, when using the Push 3 (Standalone), regardless of what track I've selected the Push 3 seems to cycle through instruments with every press of a pad.

In other words, if I press a pad intending to send a midi note to a selected tracks hardware counterpart, the mono synth may trigger; and if I press the pad again the poly synth may trigger- and so on, with each pad press triggering a different instrument regardless of which track I've selected.

I've fiddled with this quite a bit and if instead I set the tracks to 'From Push' I am able to trigger all the synths at the same time but not individually and not dependent on which track I have currently selected. To be specific- If I set each [External Instrument] midi track to 'From Push', the Push 3 will now control that track without cycling to other hardware- however, it will also simultaneously trigger all other tracks and related hardware simultaneously.

Ideally, I would want to select a track- play part via the Push 3- select another track- play a different part via the Push 3- and so on to complete an arrangement with all of my hardware instruments in reach. I hope this has made sense!

nsjobuk

Re: Issue w/ Push 3 controlling external harware

Post by nsjobuk » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:30 pm

This topic may lead to a solution as well viewtopic.php?p=1820103#p1820103

But I have not been able to test it yet!