Push 3 Encoder Issue

Discuss Push with other users.
splinters

Push 3 Encoder Issue

Post by splinters » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:49 pm

I'm fairly certain I have a defective unit and will log a ticket in the morning. I just thought I'd check here in case I'm overlooking anything.

Encoder 5 along the top row doesn't smoothly change values at a certain point in the rotation. It doesn't matter which project I'm in or which device I'm working on. If I have to adjust encoder 5 the values start behaving very erratic, going both up and down while I'm turning past the midway values. The actual physical encoder looks and feels fine, no different to any other encoder. The rest all behave fine and values adjust exactly as you would expect. Just when I start turning dial 5, let's just say I'm turning anticlockwise to reduce a value from 100%. Its all linear to a point, perhaps from 100% to 50% and then the value starts going back up even though I'm still turning anticlockwise. It might go up a few values then go back down, then back up again and so on.

I tried updating to firmware 1.1.2 but it still behaves the same. Its been like this since it arrived, I initially thought I had recorded some automation with it but after taking some time to investigate I can see its happening now on any project, any device, any menu etc.

Seems to me like a straight forward hardware issue but I just thought I'd check in case there was anything I can try software wise.

Tarekith

Re: Push 3 Encoder Issue

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:00 am

Haven’t heard of other software issues like this, definitely sounds like a hardware fault.

splinters

Post by splinters » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:16 am

Thanks, I thought that might be the case alright.

I logged a ticket yesterday along with a video of the issue but support have yet to get back to me.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:49 pm

Support is taking a while to get back to people at the moment, please be patient and they will contact you.
Ableton Forum Administrator

splinters

Post by splinters » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:25 pm

Is there a rought ETA on when they may reply? I understand they're busy but having paid 2 grand for some seemingly defective hardware should warrant a reasonably quick reply.

I can certainly give it a few more days but if it goes beyond next week I'll have no option but to raise a charge back request with my bank.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:43 pm

I've heard it can take up to a week, hopefully you won't have to wait more than a few more days.

splinters

Post by splinters » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:01 pm

That's fine, I certainly don't want to be unreasonable. I've had little time to explore Push 3 since getting it so to discover it has a hardware fault is a bit disheartening. It's too expensive a device to live with as it is though, think its only fair to expect a fully functioning device.

Hopefully support can get this matter rectified swiftly without needing to involve a charge back from my bank.

I dont suppose you know, in scenarios like this are support opting for repairs or replacements when it's confirmed to be defective hardware?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:48 pm

I have no part of that, so I really don't know. But for sure, you should definitely be happy that something this expensive works the way you expect.

Kahuun

Post by Kahuun » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:34 pm

Any news on this? I have the same issue with one of my encoders.

Ground issue?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:28 pm

Kahuun wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:34 pm
Any news on this? I have the same issue with one of my encoders.

Ground issue?
Did you contact Support?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Lemmike

Post by Lemmike » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:47 pm

I have the exact same issue - also on my encoder number 5.

The strange thing is it seems to be periodic and I can sometimes have a long session with the Push without it happening.

But it is really annoying when it happens. Every time I grab my phone to shoot a video of it it seems to go away.

Once I get a video I will send a send it to Ableton and see what they say about it.