Step sequencer and rec quantized notes should respect swing

Discuss Push with other users.
TheEntireRobot

Step sequencer and rec quantized notes should respect swing

Post by TheEntireRobot » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:32 pm

I don't know if this is a Live issue or a Push issue, but seeing as I'm experiencing it when using Push, I thought I'd post it here:

When I have Swing set to a non-zero value and program drum notes in a clip, I'd like the notes entered into the step sequencer to have swing immediately and automatically applied. Right now, they don't have swing automatically applied, even though the notes are correctly quantized to the grid.

Also, if I have Rec Quantize On, any notes that I play are correctly quantized to the division I set in the settings, but swing is not applied.

This means that as I'm programming or playing new notes when Swing is non-zero, those notes' rhythms are incorrect (and sound pretty bad) until I manually press the Quantize button, at which point the swing is applied and they line up correctly.

I think the current behavior should be changed, and that the swing value should always be respected when quantizing notes, whether it's when pressing the Quantize button, programming notes in the clip view grid, or recording notes with Rec Quantize On.

Thoughts?

Alex1210

Re: Step sequencer and rec quantized notes should respect swing

Post by Alex1210 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:53 pm

This bugs me too , good idea

Drumstix

Post by Drumstix » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:24 pm

that's exactly what I thought! I created a max4live device to easily add swing to a clip, to all clips of a track or to all clips in the song. But ran into the same issue. I always have to commit swing to the clips by pressing a button.
Also, the swing amount isn't stored in the live set. That bugs me too. Next time you open the set, swing amount is reset to 0...

btw if you're interested, this is the link to my device: https://maxforlive.com/library/device/9919/swing

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:05 am

TheEntireRobot wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:32 pm
I think the current behavior should be changed, and that the swing value should always be respected when quantizing notes, whether it's when pressing the Quantize button, programming notes in the clip view grid, or recording notes with Rec Quantize On.

Thoughts?
Agree.

Have you posted this on Centercode? If not, please do.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, consider joining the beta program (see pinned posts on this board for details.)
Suite, Push 1, Push 2, Push Standalone

lmbauer2017

Post by lmbauer2017 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:15 pm

Yes this sounds like a bug IMO. If the Rec Quantize works, then the swing should work with it as well. Submitting a report now in case OP isn't set up for it.

lmbauer2017

Post by lmbauer2017 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:24 pm

FYI: Turns out this is expected behavior in case anyone else stumbles upon this.

https://www.ableton.com/en/push/manual/#quantizing