Hardware Synth Latency

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mikhailmusic

Hardware Synth Latency

Post by Mikhailmusic » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:36 am

UAD direct monitoring was my 1st solution dealing with Live's latency. I would just record the audio of my synth performance and it was smooth sailing until I started MIDI sequencing my synths in Live 11.

2nd solution was using an ext inst device. By far it has been the best way to hear my hardware synths in time with the MIDI being sent from Ableton. Then I just create another audio track and record the ext inst device's track, not my ext. inputs. All is well at the start of projects, I can play and record my MIDI parts with minimal latency and when I play the part back the monitoring is in time.

The thing is I still run into latency when deeper into a project. It makes no difference if I make sure no latency inducing devices are on the track/master (not just disabled, but completely removed). "Reduced Latency for Monitoring" doesn't make a difference either. I could turn off monitoring from ext inst device and use UAD monitoring again just to be able to play a new midi sequence in time with my project then switch it back to hear it properly synced but that is such a workflow killer for me.

Any advice / help would be much appreciated!

Live 11.3.20 (44.1khz / 32 buffer / DC: On / DEC tested)
MBP M1 Max 64gb (Ventura 13.6.3)
2 x Apollo x8p: (IDC: OFF)