Per-note pitch bend and External Instrument

Discuss Push with other users.
ffont

Per-note pitch bend and External Instrument

Post by ffont » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:51 am

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to control an MPE-capable hardware synth using Push 3. I use the External Instrument device to send MIDI to the synth, and select "MPE" in the midi channel dropdown. It seems to work ok except that the per-note pitch bends are not applied as expected when moving fingers horizontally in adjacent pads (new notes are triggered instead of a continuous pitch bend). In the Push 3 settings>expression panel, I can see that the "per-note pitch bend" option is set to automatic, and I can set it to "on" to get per-note pitch bend working as expected. However, this means that it will also be enabled for other instrument that do not support it (?). Ideally we should have the option to indicate if we want to support per-note pitch bends in the external instrument device so that the global configuration can be kept to "automatic" (or they should simply be enabled if MPE option is selected in the midi channel dropdown). Is there any way to set that? Maybe using a m4l device?

Thanks!

frederic

MPrinsen

Re: Per-note pitch bend and External Instrument

Post by MPrinsen » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:17 pm

Same problem here… did you ever find a solution?

elbows

Re: Per-note pitch bend and External Instrument

Post by elbows » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:20 pm

11.3.20 release notes include:

"When Note Pitch Bend is set to Automatic in Push’s Expression settings, the glissando type will be pitch bend when using the External Instrument device with the Channel set to MPE."