Searching Clip Titles?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ajargy

Searching Clip Titles?

Post by ajargy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:54 pm

Hey, I use Live to DJ, and I have over 200 songs warped into my Live set. I often have a hard time finding tracks and clips because there is just so much going on in my Session View... Is there any sort of 'clip search' function that would allow me to type the name of a track / clip, and would show me in Session View where it is? If not I'm going to have to step up my organizational skills... :cry:

Thanks for your help! :mrgreen:

sdmiddleton

Re: Searching Clip Titles?

Post by sdmiddleton » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:31 pm

This probably isn't the answer, but for what its worth, you could create some alphabetical numbering chart/picture by creating a pretend lesson and perhaps a grid reference system, like, Song Name 'it's raining men' is in Track 3, Scene 54...Or 'YMCA', Track 8 75... Just an idea developed from this other idea in the tips and tricks section...You could have one page for all possible artists and one page for all song names, and then a grid reference...?

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 57&start=0

ajargy

Post by ajargy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanks, this is pretty helpful... Although I wish I could just 'Search All Clips'... The way I have my clips organized now is by key. This makes it easier to use harmonic mixing.

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:47 pm

ajargy wrote:Thanks, this is pretty helpful... Although I wish I could just 'Search All Clips'... The way I have my clips organized now is by key. This makes it easier to use harmonic mixing.
Yeah i'm thinking of getting that 'mixed in key' programme, would be really cool, is that what you're using?

...Let me know if that idea is of any use, was just a quick thought, but would be interested to see how you figure this one out?

ajargy

Post by ajargy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:15 am

i use mixedinkey and i really like it. it can mess up sometimes, but its nice. when i add a song to my set i rename it with the key in front of the song title. i didnt have it write the key in the comments because that got really messy... such a tedious process... this is why i want to find out if u can search by clip title! as of now i have all my catalog in one column organized by key and color coated by genre, but i have a hard time finding my tracks..

Eddyframpton

Post by Eddyframpton » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:07 am

Bizarre that 11 years later in 2020 searching for clip titles is still not possible. I have the same issue with having 80 + song titles and have to manually search for them in the dark while playing. Many DJ features missing: proper looping within the same clip ( I know you can make several versions of the track with different start points), multi track sample/track overview (being able to see you 2 at the same time) multi cue points in the same clip etc

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:19 pm

It's not too bizarre, this feature has only been asked for once and that was only in this thread 11 years ago. :D

ToBe

Post by ToBe » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:53 am

Here is a M4L device which lets you type in text in a popup window and it will search, select and play the clip you searched for. https://blog.abletondrummer.com/search- ... eton-live/
(FREE) MAX for LIVE devices
http://blog.abletondrummer.com/free-max ... e-devices/

ABLETON LIVE for (but not only) DRUMMERS
http://www.abletondrummer.com