Ableton doesn't let me delete unused files

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomboudiboudi

Ableton doesn't let me delete unused files

Post by tomboudiboudi » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:18 pm

Hi :)
I'm actually tidying up / cleaning up my ableton projects and sets, and I'm experiencing a very frustrating issue :

When I go to "manage files" in one of my set I see that I've a bunch of "unused files", so I click on "Show" so all those unused files get listed in the left pane, but when I right click on those files, Ableton doesn't let me delete them (delete option isn't even shown inside the contextual menu).

I'm ABSOLUTLY SURE that those unused files aren't used by any other Ableton Live Set. They're only dependant to this specific Live Set, and only this one.
That's why I'm kind of surprised that Ableton doesn't let me delete them... Yes, I can go the good old Win Explorer hard way and delete them one by one, but damn, that's hundreds of files...

Does anyone has ever experienced this issue, and possibly found clues about it ?

pottering

Re: Ableton doesn't let me delete unused files

Post by pottering » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:44 pm

Usually that's because of the backed up .als saved in the Backup folder in the project.
♥♥♥

tomboudiboudi

Post by tomboudiboudi » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:14 am

I've already deleted all backup sets from Windows Explorer, I don't get how it could be related to them

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:33 pm

If you save the project to a new location, then do collect all and save, are the files you want to delete still there in the project folder? Can you delete them then?

ratox

Post by ratox » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:45 pm

I have the same problem and I wonder why they put useless stuff in new version instead of making the workflow straight...

ratox

Post by ratox » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:08 pm

Any tech support info on this? please, thanks

ratox

Post by ratox » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:09 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:33 pm
If you save the project to a new location, then do collect all and save, are the files you want to delete still there in the project folder? Can you delete them then?
yes they get back even if they're not anymore present in arrangement!