Trying to buy Live 8 Suite, what are my options?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
improbabilitist

Trying to buy Live 8 Suite, what are my options?

Post by improbabilitist » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:51 pm

Hello,

This is more of a licensing question, so I hope I'm posting in the right forum.

I want to be able to authorize Live 8 Suite, but unfortunately for me there aren't a whole lot of Live 8 Suite licenses floating around.

From what I've understood, the only way I can do this, is to buy a used license from someone who either upgraded to Live 8 Suite at one point, or purchased a Live 8 Suite license in the first place, but later upgraded to a newer version. Is that correct?
I mostly base this claim on this answer, however, I haven't found much regarding this in the official documentation.

I think I've now found a seller that has Live 9 Suite for sale, and claims that it's possible to authorize older versions with this license, but so far the screenshot he sent me only shows Live 9 Suite license available in the seller's account.
Is the claim made by the seller true?

Thanks in advance!

Tarekith

Re: Trying to buy Live 8 Suite, what are my options?

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:03 am

You can buy a current version of Ableton Live Suite, which will give you access to all of the older versions as well:

https://www.ableton.com/en/download/archive/

I do not think at this point you would be able to purchase an older version and authorize it directly, but its worth contact sales support to ask them just in case:

Support

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:06 am

improbabilitist wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:51 pm
From what I've understood, the only way I can do this, is to buy a used license from someone who either upgraded to Live 8 Suite at one point, or purchased a Live 8 Suite license in the first place, but later upgraded to a newer version. Is that correct?
No, it's not correct at all! And it makes sense, you can't resell a licence e.g L8 that gave you a discounted upgrade to L9.
When you upgrade, you upgrade your license, you're not buying a new one.

So the solution for you is to buy a L8 from someone that's not using Live anymore, or at least not this licence.
improbabilitist wrote:
I think I've now found a seller that has Live 9 Suite for sale, and claims that it's possible to authorize older versions with this license,
That's possible, if this person upgraded their L9 from a L8 licence. This doesn't necessarily appear in the drop-down menu shown in the screenshot, but a bit lower on their account page they'll find an option to show all serials (this includes packs, and Push and anything from Ableton) and if they indeed got L9 by upgrading a L8 licence, this L8 serial will appear in this list.
BUT, in this very case we already have a clue that this is true since we can see "Live 9 (upgrade)" in the screenshot. The little explanation was to give you a hint that you can ask for more proof.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:09 am

Tarekith wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:03 am
You can buy a current version of Ableton Live Suite, which will give you access to all of the older versions as well:

https://www.ableton.com/en/download/archive/
No Erik. You can download and install these older versions, but you still need a serial to use them and this is not included when you buy the current version. It only works the other way.
But it's not impossible that Support can do something kind about it; better off asking them.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:41 am

Doh my bad.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:59 am

Tarekith wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:41 am
Doh my bad.
Nest time you're banned :lol:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:00 am

Don't tempt me :)

improbabilitist

Post by improbabilitist » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:56 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:06 am
improbabilitist wrote:
No, it's not correct at all! And it makes sense, you can't resell a licence e.g L8 that gave you a discounted upgrade to L9.
When you upgrade, you upgrade your license, you're not buying a new one.

So the solution for you is to buy a L8 from someone that's not using Live anymore, or at least not this licence.
improbabilitist wrote:
I think I've now found a seller that has Live 9 Suite for sale, and claims that it's possible to authorize older versions with this license,
That's possible, if this person upgraded their L9 from a L8 licence. This doesn't necessarily appear in the drop-down menu shown in the screenshot, but a bit lower on their account page they'll find an option to show all serials (this includes packs, and Push and anything from Ableton) and if they indeed got L9 by upgrading a L8 licence, this L8 serial will appear in this list.
BUT, in this very case we already have a clue that this is true since we can see "Live 9 (upgrade)" in the screenshot. The little explanation was to give you a hint that you can ask for more proof.

I'm not sure I understand. Isn't the situation with the seller the exact same as the 2nd example I've described?

Is it possible for you to show me what you mean by that section of the account page by posting a screenshot? Obviously with all of the sensitive things blurred out.

improbabilitist

Post by improbabilitist » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:22 am

[jur] wrote:
This doesn't necessarily appear in the drop-down menu shown in the screenshot, but a bit lower on their account page they'll find an option to show all serials (this includes packs, and Push and anything from Ableton) and if they indeed got L9 by upgrading a L8 licence, this L8 serial will appear in this list.
Update: Seller just sent me these additional screenshots:
https://0x0.st/HGki.jpg
https://0x0.st/HGk-.jpg

Is this what you meant? And if so, does this mean that it's not possible to authorize Live 8 Suite with that license (considering I don't see the mention of Live 8 anywhere) ?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:32 am

You are going to have to contact sales support at the link I posted earlier, no one here is going to be able to help you I’m afraid. Sales support will have the best way for you to handle this if you’re really just trying to get access to Live 8.

improbabilitist

Post by improbabilitist » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:47 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:32 am
You are going to have to contact sales support at the link I posted earlier, no one here is going to be able to help you I’m afraid. Sales support will have the best way for you to handle this if you’re really just trying to get access to Live 8.
Yeah I was maybe thinking someone here might know. After trying to call Ableton and finding out that their phone line is under construction, I shot the sales dept. an e-mail, but considering how swamped their support staff is right now I think an answer will take some time :(

Oh well, I'll just update this thread once I know more in case others might find this info valuable as well.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:22 pm

improbabilitist wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:22 am
[jur] wrote:
This doesn't necessarily appear in the drop-down menu shown in the screenshot, but a bit lower on their account page they'll find an option to show all serials (this includes packs, and Push and anything from Ableton) and if they indeed got L9 by upgrading a L8 licence, this L8 serial will appear in this list.
Update: Seller just sent me these additional screenshots:
https://0x0.st/HGki.jpg
https://0x0.st/HGk-.jpg

Is this what you meant? And if so, does this mean that it's not possible to authorize Live 8 Suite with that license (considering I don't see the mention of Live 8 anywhere) ?
Sorry I didn't notice your answer.
There's no L8 license in here, so unless Support makes a kind move to help you, you're not buying a license that contains Live 8.
Did the seller told you they upgraded from L8?
The answer to why their Live 9 is an upgrade, is because it's an upgrade from L9 Intro as we can see in the screenshots.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:25 pm

BTW, sorry that Tarekith and I are providing somewhat nuanced answers, but I'm 100% sure on the topic (but I've no idea if Support would agree to provide you a L8 license anyway just because they're nice).
Ableton Forum Moderator

improbabilitist

Post by improbabilitist » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:47 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:25 pm
BTW, sorry that Tarekith and I are providing somewhat nuanced answers, but I'm 100% sure on the topic (but I've no idea if Support would agree to provide you a L8 license anyway just because they're nice).
Oh no please don't apologize, it's totally fine! I prefer nuanced and accurate answers over vague ones anyway :)

The seller said he didn't own any previous versions, but that according to him it would be possible to authorize older versions, which (as I've concluded based on the information you've provided me with) is incorrect.

If Ableton support would somehow enable the ability to authorize Live 8 Suite for me, that would be amazing, but I have no issues with looking on marketplaces for licenses which contain the ability to authorize said Live 8 Suite. It's not really time critical and I haven't really looked at marketplaces such as KvR yet. So no harm done otherwise, it's all good :)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:44 am

improbabilitist wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:47 pm
but that according to him
Well, I'd encourage you to not trust what this person believes :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator