Do Return channels Return WET signal only or the Summ ?…..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spanktron

Do Return channels Return WET signal only or the Summ ?…..

Post by spanktron » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:25 am

Hey everyone.
So i was wondering. If i send signal from a track to a return track (lets say with a reverb with 100% Wet setting on it)
i get a Wet signal i can then blend in with my mix.

However, my Question: Is the signal coming back,
ONLY the WET signal of the plugin (as in DELTA) ? Or is it SIGNAL THAT GOES TO THE PLUGIN + WET= Processed Mix of the Signals (a Summ of both) ?

Peace

jlgrimes

Re: Do Return channels Return WET signal only or the Summ ?…..

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 pm

spanktron wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:25 am
Hey everyone.
So i was wondering. If i send signal from a track to a return track (lets say with a reverb with 100% Wet setting on it)

ONLY the WET signal of the plugin (as in DELTA) ? Or is it SIGNAL THAT GOES TO THE PLUGIN + WET= Processed Mix of the Signals (a Summ of both) ?

Peace
typically the signal returning back is the 100% wet processed signal but nothing is stopping you from sending a partially processed signal back as well but best practice is to send process return signals 100% wet and you use a combination of mixer fader/send level and return level to adjust the ratio of proceeds vs dry signal.

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:49 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 pm
spanktron wrote:
Hey everyone.

Peace
typically the signal returning back is the 100% wet processed signal but nothing is stopping you from sending a partially processed signal back as well but best practice is to send process return signals 100% wet and you use a combination of mixer fader/send level and return level to adjust the ratio of proceeds vs dry signal.

Hey there. Thanks for chipping in!
But this is what i am not sure i understand . What does this "100% Processed signal" consist of?
my logic would suggest "The Dry Signal and the Processing (Delta) summed together“ Or is it Only the Processing (Delta) ?
Don`t know how to describe it better ...

Jolaff

Post by Jolaff » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:56 am

spanktron wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:49 pm
jlgrimes wrote:
spanktron wrote:
Hey everyone.

Peace

But this is what i am not sure i understand . What does this "100% Processed signal" consist of?
my logic would suggest "The Dry Signal and the Processing (Delta) summed together“ Or is it Only the Processing (Delta) ?
If you send a signal to a return track, that return track will return the output of the plugin (or plugins chain) you put in that return track only. It's not a combination of the plugin's output + the signal you sent.

If you send a signal "A" and your return track contain a plugin that transform "A" into "C", the return track will return "C" only.

If you send a signal "A" and your return track contain a plugin that transform "A" into "A + C", the return track will return "A + C" ...because the output of the plugin is "A + C"

If there is a dry part of the signal that is returned, it's because the output of your plugin contain a dry portion of the input signal ...like if you would put a reverb set to 20% dry / 80% wet... but the returned part is 100% from the output of the plugin ....

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:10 pm

Jolaff wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:56 am
spanktron wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:49 pm
jlgrimes wrote:

If you send a signal to a return track, that return track will return the output of the plugin (or plugins chain) you put in that return track only. It's not a combination of the plugin's output + the signal you sent.

If you send a signal "A" and your return track contain a plugin that transform "A" into "C", the return track will return "C" only.

If you send a signal "A" and your return track contain a plugin that transform "A" into "A + C", the return track will return "A + C" ...because the output of the plugin is "A + C"

If there is a dry part of the signal that is returned, it's because the output of your plugin contain a dry portion of the input signal ...like if you would put a reverb set to 20% dry / 80% wet... but the returned part is 100% from the output of the plugin ....

Thank you. I think i understand now.
thanks for taking the time to help.
Much appreciated
Have a great day!