USB Hub recommendations for Push 3 in US

Discuss Push with other users.
Goozburger

USB Hub recommendations for Push 3 in US

Post by Goozburger » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:30 pm

Hi there

Does anyone have recommendations for a usb hub for Push 3. I would prefer for it not to be powered but so far I've tried one that did not work. I wonder if it in fact needs to be powered or did I just buy too cheap of a product. If you know something that ships in the USA I would much appreciate it!

Cheers

lmbauer2017

Re: USB Hub recommendations for Push 3 in US

Post by lmbauer2017 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:08 am

Goozburger wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:30 pm
Hi there

Does anyone have recommendations for a usb hub for Push 3. I would prefer for it not to be powered but so far I've tried one that did not work. I wonder if it in fact needs to be powered or did I just buy too cheap of a product. If you know something that ships in the USA I would much appreciate it!

Cheers
So if you have the standalone, the Push itself will need its AC power plugged in regardless :/ I actually bought a (super solid/cheap) hub that's powered in hopes that it would keep it charged, but alas it did not, nor did the fancy USB4 thunderbolt ports on my M3 lol.

But... if you're just looking for a solid hub checkout the Anker brand (I recently did a deep dive on cheap USB hubs and they kept being mentioned). They have super fast speeds and have many different port combinations for pretty dang cheap for the power they pack. Best of all, they're all on Amazon!

Ignore the USB 3/3.1/3.2/3.0 jargon. Just look for transfer speeds >=5Gbps. I think all of Anker's are at least 5Gbps which is super fast for general data flow.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/95AC ... f_=ast_bln

And if you're curious, I bought the Anker 555 USB-C Hub. I plug my macbooks power cable into it and it charges the mac and runs external SSDs etc. I also got it for the HDMI that does 60Hz (not the usual 30Hz!) which is huge for the price.

Goozburger

Post by Goozburger » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:59 am

Hey! Thanks so much for the advice. Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. I basically am looking for something to connect to the older usb port (not the usb C) on Push 3 so I can connect multiple midi devices for a live situation. I did not know you can use the usb C port for that too.

elbows

Post by elbows » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:13 pm

I cant tell you which hubs work best, but I can say that the description I would use to make your request clearer to everyone is:

You are looking for a hub that works with the USB Host port on the Push 3. A hub you will then use to connect multiple USB MIDI devices to the Push (presumably in Push standalone mode but that port does work in controller mode too, acting as a USB port for your computer).

The previous responder who mentioned usb c was talking about a totally different scenario, different use case.

elbows

Post by elbows » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:26 pm

Also to be totally sure that the hub you tried so far really doesnt work, make sure you are familiar with how to enable additional USB MIDI devices in the Push 3 standalones settings:

In order to have the additional MIDI ports actually show up in track input and output lists, or in External Instrument devices, you have to make sure the right settings are enabled for that MIDI device in the main Push 3 settings.

ie you need to go into settings, and press the MIDI button, and then find your devices in the input and output lists. If the devices dont even show up in these lists, then yeah your USB hub isnt working with the push and those devices. If they do show up, you need to do things like select the one you want to enable in the input and output lists, then press the button above the screen that is labelled 'Track' so that the white square next to the word Track is filled in rather than empty. Repeat for every devices as required for your needs, or for other functions like 'Sync' and 'Remote' if required. Then when you come to choose things in the input and output settings for particular tracks, or the external instrument device, these devices will now show up in those lists.

The steps I have described are the Push 3 standalone equivalent of of ticking boxes next to MIDI device names in the settings->'link, tempo & midi' page of the normal computer version of Live.

CH7

Post by CH7 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:26 pm

Goozburger wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:59 am
Hey! Thanks so much for the advice. Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. I basically am looking for something to connect to the older usb port (not the usb C) on Push 3 so I can connect multiple midi devices for a live situation. I did not know you can use the usb C port for that too.

Whether powered or unpowered, I don't think the USB hub itself will be the problem. Any USB 3.0 hub should work for most needs unless you are connecting devices that also require higher than normal power [eg 5v 2A].

It's more likely the cables for the devices, or you need special software drivers, which of course the Push is unlikely to have by default. That said, the Push kernel seems to be setup for most standard USB devices. 'Ethernet dongles' is one example.

Make sure the USB cables aren't 'charging only' types, but 'data cables'. Check to see if your USB device requires additional software drivers.
I hope Ableton has consulted the major music hardware suppliers for their device driver inclusion in the push.

What devices are you trying to connect? Also, do they work when connected directly to the Push?

[It might be useful if Ableton had a list of USB devices known to work with the Push. Or maybe we could create that list here for people to add to.]

Goozburger

Post by Goozburger » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:29 am

The cables are the same ones I use when I connect the devices to my laptop. I am trying to connect softstep, boppad, apc40 mk2, etc. But I normally power the device via the USB 3 and connect the midi stuff via the old USB port (I think it's USB type B) that is on the Push 3.

elbows

Post by elbows » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:25 pm

Its a type A host port. Do those devices work if you just connect one of them straight to that port instead of using a hub? If not, see my earlier posts for steps to enable devices like that.

CH7

Post by CH7 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:18 am

Goozburger wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:29 am
The cables are the same ones I use when I connect the devices to my laptop. I am trying to connect softstep, boppad, apc40 mk2, etc. But I normally power the device via the USB 3 and connect the MIDI stuff via the old USB port (I think it's USB type B) that is on the Push 3.
Ok, so it seems each of these devices requires power over USB. If these were being connected to a laptop then a simple USB HUB would be enough. As this is the Push, you would have to experiment. As you say, the USB Hub you bought isn't supplying the power required by these devices. You Could try a powered USB HUB, or get a Powerbank and plug those devices into that, then use the DIN outs from those devices to connect the midi to the PUSH.

This 'powered USB Hub' looks a good bet:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aceele-Powered ... =8-15&th=1

It takes its power via a USB-C charger, which you could supply instead from a suitable power bank.

This is my goto 'power bank':

https://www.amazon.co.uk/POWER%CE%9BDD- ... 6B91&psc=1

Finally, there is this 'USB-C to DC adaptor'
[which allows you to power the Push via the power bank through the Push DC input]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/POWER%CE%9BDD- ... 6B91&psc=1

paypal.me/ifyoulikedthis