Debugging VSTs/plug-ins, CPU spikes, etc.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
merges

Debugging VSTs/plug-ins, CPU spikes, etc.

Post by merges » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:22 pm

Like many others, I occasionally experience CPU spikes, plug-in crashes, and other performance issues that severely impede the act of making music. These sometimes require expensive "Live Set recovery" operations, or manually going through plug-in chains one at a time to troubleshoot and find offending plug-ins/VSTs.

Are there any tips for debugging/finding offending plug-ins, or other troubleshooting? I'd actually consider this a major feature request—give us a way to more easily find plug-ins that are causing problems, spiking CPUs, etc., especially in complex sets. I understand I can look at the "CPU meter" in Session View. But with dozens of tracks, it's hard to keep your eye on *all* of the CPU meters at once, in hopes of seeing just the one(s) that spike here or there.

dgodrummer

Re: Debugging VSTs/plug-ins, CPU spikes, etc.

Post by dgodrummer » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:25 am

Hey Merges! somewhat of a newbie here, only one year in w/ Version 11 using OSX 14.3.

You mentioned plug-in crashes. I'd like to see if you have any insights or suggestions to my dilemma.

For reasons that had noting to do with Ableton, I recently re-installed a back up of my "MUSIC" folder. Within it is located my Ableton songs, Itunes library, Plug-ins folders (which continue to baffle me). After this install, I found when trying to open six of my tunes, the program would crash before loading. The rest open fine.

I'm sure I was using a few plug-in instruments (I have not got into using FX or other audio plug-ins), but have no idea which ones I used for each tune. I do not have many plug-ins. Only free ones I've found online or that came with buying some gear. and I should mention, the entire plug in folder system I have is probably a bit convoluted, and have found not all my plug-ins are located in the same folder for some unknown reason. Maybe to due doing things a few different when starting out and not understanding the install process; a general lack of understanding of where they are be kept (VST files, etc) and where they end up when I install. Those two things not always meshing naturally for me. Regardless, somehow it worked previously, until I reloaded the back up files. Wondering what folders I should be checking that I may have missed when backing up.

I suppose some YouTube research would help, and I may have to set aside some serious time for this.

Therefore, I'm sure anything you have to say on this matter will educate me. Can you expand on how plug-ins may cause crashes? And go further into where plug-ins end up when installing? It's my understanding they automatically install into a plug-ins folder, though I seem to have a few folders containing plug-ins. Any help appreciated and I understand if you need to direct me to a video or other forum thread. cheers from Durango, CO.

dgodrummer

Re: Debugging VSTs/plug-ins, CPU spikes, etc.

Post by dgodrummer » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:41 am

Got it! I was able to figure out how to track down the culprit corrupt plug-in and reinstall. all is good. never mind. cheers.