Arrangement position not placing 1 on the right beat

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Snoekie66

Arrangement position not placing 1 on the right beat

Post by Snoekie66 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:39 pm

Hi all

I'm busy programming a show with many cues and vamps etc. I'm presently working on a cue in 4/4 that starts with a 2/4 count in, plays for 70 bars then vamps and has to devamp to the next cue at the end of the bar. All the programming is correct (quantization set to 1 bar) except that ableton is obviously not reading the 2/4 bar in the beginning so is 2 counts out with the actual song. What Ableton thinks is 1, is actually 3. So when I devamp, it will devamp when it has counted to 4 which is in the middle of the actual bar of music.

I hope this makes sense. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

slow.robot

Re: Arrangement position not placing 1 on the right beat

Post by slow.robot » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:10 pm

if I understand, you may just need to add a time signature marker at the point where you want the '1'. so just a 4/4 marker at that point, I think. it's been a while since I've needed to do that, but as I recall that's how to reset the meter whenever there are shortened (or lengthened) bars.

Snoekie66

Post by Snoekie66 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:58 pm

I forgot to mention I am working in session view, so there's no timeline to which I can add a single bar of 2/4 eg.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:18 am

ah, okay, I think I understand now. you're using 'pick-up' beats/measures in a Session view clip. I think that can be done by opening the clip editor and shifting the Start marker for the clip to where you want the pick-up measure to begin, and the loop markers to where you want the loop to play. it sounds like you might need to keep the quantization settings in mind when triggering during live playback, in order to ensure the pickup notes and the 'one' fall in the correct place (the forum post below explains why). I've never done this myself, as I don't use Session view, but hopefully some of this is useful.

some background that might help:
viewtopic.php?t=237368

the clip view section of the manual, in case it's helpful:
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/clip-view/#clip-view

if you have Max 4 Live, it looks like there's a device that may do what you need more easily:
https://youtu.be/HGjx4Qwki2k?si=XrjvZdel1t90rXju

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:07 am

Not sure I understand, but you can automate the time signature from the session with my Grand Duc device.
https://maxforlive.com/library/device/5858/grand-duc
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1