Issue with Ableton Live Recognizing AKAI APC 40 MK2 and Akai Midimix as Separate Controllers

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
il claptones

Issue with Ableton Live Recognizing AKAI APC 40 MK2 and Akai Midimix as Separate Controllers

Post by il claptones » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm currently facing a challenge with my setup in Ableton Live, where I'm using two MIDI controllers: The AKAI APC 40 MK2 and the Akai Midimix. For the Midimix, I've mapped each button individually to suit my workflow. However, I'd like to retain the standard mapping for the APC 40 MK2.

The issue arises when Ableton Live seems unable to differentiate between the two controllers, treating them as if they were the same device. This conflict prevents me from utilizing the unique mappings and functionalities I've set up for each controller.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I'm looking for a way to make Ableton Live recognize and handle each controller's mappings independently, without them interfering with each other. Any advice, workarounds, or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards.

yur2die4

Re: Issue with Ableton Live Recognizing AKAI APC 40 MK2 and Akai Midimix as Separate Controllers

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:54 am

Manual midi mapping only applies to controllers with Remote turned on in midi preferences.

If the APC has Remote off, it will still use its default functions but it will not have its controls overridden with midi mapping.

Alternatively, if you’re able to change the ‘midi channel’ of either controller so that it uses a channel that the other controller does not use, that can work too. But this can get tricky depending on the functionality of the controller (APC works on multiple midi channels and it cannot have its midi channel Changed).