Will we get a feature similar to Akai MPC STEMS?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
J-Fly

Will we get a feature similar to Akai MPC STEMS?

Post by J-Fly » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:41 pm

I'm sure everyone has seen Akai's new STEMS plug-in. I really like the idea and I'm tired of using LALALAI to get similar results. Ableton is probably working on something like this. Do you think Push users will want this feature? I surely do.

Tarekith

Re: Will we get a feature similar to Akai MPC STEMS?

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:27 pm

Usually if I'm working on Push I already have all the individual parts of a song if I need them, so it's not a huge priority for me in this context. But I do think some of the capabilities of AI stem demixing are pretty amazing. I've been getting back into DJing regularly lately and see what Serato and Denon can do now on that front is pretty mind-blowing.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:29 am

I can't imagine that Push users WOULD'NT want this feature, but you'd have to think that this isn't currently in scope anytime soon since it would need to hit the Live DAW first before it hit the hardware (just like Akai is doing). If stems were ready to go in Live 12, or even close, you can bet they would have been pushing it hard already.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:24 am

merlyn wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:29 am
I can't imagine that Push users WOULD'NT want this feature
Then your imagination looks a bit lazy today, because I can assure you that I couldn't care less about such a feature and I can imagine that I'm not the only one, but in any case that's sure for 1 person 😛

Joking aside, you are totally right about this:
merlyn wrote:
it would need to hit the Live DAW first before it hit the hardware (just like Akai is doing).
and indeed as we all know this isn't a L12 feature.
Ableton Forum Moderator

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:30 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:24 am
merlyn wrote:
I can't imagine that Push users WOULD'NT want this feature
Then your imagination looks a bit lazy today, because I can assure you that I couldn't care less about such a feature and I can imagine that I'm not the only one, but in any case that's sure for 1 person 😛
I don't feel the need for it on Push standalone either, and I might have a sniff at it if it were in Live, but I don't think I'd use it often. I get more from using my ears to try and recreate parts.

Obvioulsy I'm happy for other people to want it, and for those who want it, I hope you get it :D

billpayer

Post by billpayer » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:07 pm

For me personally with my DJ sets, using Serato, STEMS is a game changer. I'd love it in Ableton and on Push, but others have said, there doesn't seem to be any mention of it so far.

So I've been looking at Serato Sample 2.0 https://serato.com/sample/downloads & Split Wizard 1.4 https://maxforlive.com/library/device/9861/split-wizard
(Bill Payer|3745 SoundSystem|Chome)

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:15 am

I used this tech for the first time the other day. It was just some browser based online service. It was just to remove a vocal track from a pop song I'm learning to sing. I was dubious about the outcome. We've all tried 'vocal removers' in the past.

Oh my gods, I was absolutely astonished by the results.

I had no idea it has advanced so far.

Amazing.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:31 pm

I have an MPC and will definitely be using the stems feature. it's not all about demixing for DJing etc. my old band unfortunately lost the master tapes for our songs, all we have is mix downs of the few we did record, the guitar and vocals are burried, so any sort of stem separation tool is useful. I tried it a few years ago with iZotope and it was near useless, so good to know the tech has gotten better.

As far as Ableton is concerned I don't think every DAW needs every feature, and there are third party solutions. Mostly things like plugin sandboxing and ARA support make more sense for Live IMO.

igneous

Post by igneous » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:08 pm

Speaking as an all-purpose audio producer, remixer and composer, these new AI stems separation tools are incredible and feel like the future.

I'm using RipX Daw currently alongside Ableton, and there are entirely new worlds of sound design available to play with when you can solo each individual instrument in a sample mix. I'm able to solo individual parts of a drum set (keeping just the hi-hat) and even play around the notes in a trumpet solo from an old jazz record. It's really incredible, and RipX is showing how a DAW timeline could be re-imagined in light of these new features. I hope Ableton is not only working on this, but investing heavily in it.