Does the icon and splash screen for Live 11 Standard really have to be so ugly!?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
jestermgee

Re: Does the icon and splash screen for Live 11 Standard really have to be so ugly!?

Post by jestermgee » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:07 am

[erm] wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:49 am
People are welcome to suggest things they'd like in Live here regardless of how popular or not they might be, that's the whole point.
And this is why the wishlist thread exists and if they want any seriousness to be applied to their suggestion, maybe drop the comments about how the designer should be replaced or how it is somehow some conspiracy to undermine their lack of ability to afford the top version just because they don't find the colour personally appealing. That's asking for engagement, and what the lounge is for :)

There is a fine line between a useful suggestion and a complaint tho. Mostly comes down to the way the user chooses to deliver it and opening with "Why it got to be so ugly!?" then dribbling about the competence of the programmers is an instant complaint peppered with some suggestions/demands on what NEEDS to change, not just it would be nice, as if their voice will even be heard with any seriousness.

From my POV as another user, it is nothing more than a complaint with some comical attempts to prove that the colour is universally despised and I see many specific suggestions and complaints from other users which I never think twice about engaging as they are typically better formed as suggestions but because this user does not like the colour of the splash screen when the program loads (of all things), this reflects the design programmer as being incompetent and they should be fired and I find that angle of his suggestion worthy of my time to engage and fight nonsense dribble with the same, having someone moan about the startup screen, well it must be more of a laugh and an eye roll than anything really but is as pointless as me even bothering to reply to any of this but it's something to do at lunch I guess

If the dude wants to stroll into the lounge and start moaning about how that few seconds of their life is so utterly affected by such an insignificant part of the program then some discussion around how petty that sounds should be expected, that is what the lounge is for: make a stupid statement get a stupid reply, as long as it stays within the guidelines we can carry on with "discussion of anything", only difference here is this is barely a thing to begin with and I must be seriously bored to even be bothering.

Wish the dude all the luck on his endeavor to have all the colours of the world appease his gaze. Probably shakes his fist at the sky every time rainbows appear.

Mark Williams

Re: Does the icon and splash screen for Live 11 Standard really have to be so ugly!?

Post by Mark Williams » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:28 am

[erm] wrote:
Just ignore Mark, he likes to think he runs the forums and he doesn't. People are welcome to suggest things they'd like in Live here regardless of how popular or not they might be, that's the whole point.
Tut tut, not very professional there, from a supposedly impartial admin. It seems ok for someone to moan about a part of the software that has no effect on the running & inconsequential part of it, but not for someone else to have an opposite opinion of it.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

woobei

Post by woobei » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:15 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:07 am
[erm] wrote:
People are welcome to suggest things they'd like in Live here regardless of how popular or not they might be, that's the whole point.
And this is why the wishlist thread exists and if they want any seriousness to be applied to their suggestion, maybe drop the comments about how the designer should be replaced or how it is somehow some conspiracy to undermine their lack of ability to afford the top version just because they don't find the colour personally appealing. That's asking for engagement, and what the lounge is for :)

There is a fine line between a useful suggestion and a complaint tho. Mostly comes down to the way the user chooses to deliver it and opening with "Why it got to be so ugly!?" then dribbling about the competence of the programmers is an instant complaint peppered with some suggestions/demands on what NEEDS to change, not just it would be nice, as if their voice will even be heard with any seriousness.

From my POV as another user, it is nothing more than a complaint with some comical attempts to prove that the colour is universally despised and I see many specific suggestions and complaints from other users which I never think twice about engaging as they are typically better formed as suggestions but because this user does not like the colour of the splash screen when the program loads (of all things), this reflects the design programmer as being incompetent and they should be fired and I find that angle of his suggestion worthy of my time to engage and fight nonsense dribble with the same, having someone moan about the startup screen, well it must be more of a laugh and an eye roll than anything really but is as pointless as me even bothering to reply to any of this but it's something to do at lunch I guess

If the dude wants to stroll into the lounge and start moaning about how that few seconds of their life is so utterly affected by such an insignificant part of the program then some discussion around how petty that sounds should be expected, that is what the lounge is for: make a stupid statement get a stupid reply, as long as it stays within the guidelines we can carry on with "discussion of anything", only difference here is this is barely a thing to begin with and I must be seriously bored to even be bothering.

Wish the dude all the luck on his endeavor to have all the colours of the world appease his gaze. Probably shakes his fist at the sky every time rainbows appear.
come on mate, fair shake, ive made many good arguments in this thread and you've ignored them all and attacked me personally instead. either you don't understand the arguments or you're wilfully ignoring them.

maybe you can appreciate the point in music terms: that mspaint cyan blue splash screen would be equivalent to the windows 95 startup chime being a Cdim13(b9) chord -- would you really want to listen to that every morning -- what sort of mood would it put you in -- Cdim13(b9) might sound great in context in a jazz piece surrounded by complimentary chords, but standing out there all on its own it sounds like a hot mess.

happy lunching. :D

woobei

Post by woobei » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:19 pm

[erm] wrote:
Just ignore Mark, he likes to think he runs the forums and he doesn't. People are welcome to suggest things they'd like in Live here regardless of how popular or not they might be, that's the whole point.
noted. thx mate :D

woobei

Post by woobei » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:28 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:07 am
Probably shakes his fist at the sky every time rainbows appear.
actually the math behind rainbows is pretty remarkable, and quite beautiful.

https://medium.com/however-mathematics/ ... 67533375fc

igelbox

Post by igelbox » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:16 am

woobei wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:59 pm
but does it have to be the MSPAINT CYAN BLUE every time?
Funny thing, if let say by a happy accident) the filesystem contains a folder `Contents/App-Resources/Graphics` with a `StandardSplash.png` file then Ableton makes the splash screen size equal to this file dimensions. So, one couldn't get rid of nasty cyan color but we can make it really tiny blot =)