Akai APC 64 & Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
holonology

Akai APC 64 & Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3

Post by holonology » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:07 pm

Hi folks, so I've been an Ableton user for about a year and am looking to dip my toe into the waters of MIDI controllers. I don't want/need evertything that Push 3 brings to the table, so I'm set on getting a 3rd party controller. (I'm ignoring external syncing for this, as I don't have any specific need to control external gear.)

On the one hand the new APC 64 is marketed as a game changer, but the underlying functionality seems remarkably similar to the Launchpad Pro. The sequencer, note, chord and session modes appear to do highly similar things - with the obvious difference being the touch strips.

In terms of using the controllers with Live, the only difference I can really see is that the AKAI allows you to control parameters while playing notes in the central panel. The Launchpad promotes a more linear workflow by having you edit parameters and automation after you have recorded in notes.

One thing I'm wondering is if the resolution of the pads is more flexible than the touch sliders. The Launchpad gives a full 8 pads worth of distance for playing with parameters, the APC is more like 3 pads worth of distance. Unless I'm missing something, the LPP should maybe bring a touch more control here?

I guess what's got me stumped is how the APC is being hyped, but the Launchpad doesn't seem so different. I've squinted and compared the two and I can hardly tell the difference, touch strips aside. The LPP is slightly older, as it's 3.5 years after release now. Sure, the APC seems to have like slightly better aspects such as more seuqencer tracks, more polyphony etc. But now the LPP is £80 cheaper than the AKAI. The only risk to buying the LPP is that they come out with a mk4 right after. But I guess that extra £80 could easily be spent on a second controller with knobs/faders, at which point the benefit of the APC is somewhat negated.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the APC is mostly hype or bringining something new to the table?

circuitslave

Re: Akai APC 64 & Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3

Post by circuitslave » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:45 pm

The APC 64 is clearly going after PUSH with it's 8-track standalone capability and CV/GATE options. The Novation MK3 can also be used standalone, but Akai seems to have just a more completed package for that. It loses all the knobs and sliders as the previous APCs, which may be somewhat of a bummer to some but I think it's pretty neat to have all those touch strips. You can't tweak two knobs with one hand but two touch strips with two fingers might do the trick ! :lol: . It will be interesting to see how Novation responds. I'd like to see them upgrade their Launch Control XL controller with endless encoders, upgraded faders and a display and some purdy buttons ! :D

Zhorbe

Re: Akai APC 64 & Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3

Post by Zhorbe » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 am

I also would find Novation more likely to update launchcontrol XL rather than LPP. Endless encoders on that would be an instant buy for me. As a launchpad pro mk3 user I can heartily recommend it, it pairs very well with Ableton. I don't know about others, but I have a strong dislike for touchstrips, they just don't feel quite so nice to me. Also Akai ditching the APC40 mk1/mk2 paradigm when updating to 64 was a big loss in my eyes. From UI standpoint the old devices made more sense for me, and a dedicated clip-view/mixer device is a very nice thing to have, in terms of building muscle memory and so on. As a competitor for Push the APC 64 seems reasonable though.

If you are up for buying used, you could also take a look at Push 1 or 2. They seem to be quite affordable now that they are discontinued, and for what it's worth they should be great controllers for Ableton, with some knobs thrown in as well. Probably worth it even if you don't use all the features right off the bat.