Monophonic mode in piano roll please.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Monophonic mode in piano roll please.

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi, I'd like a mode to make the note input monophonic on the piano roll. So inputting one note takes away any other note placed on the same position. Similar to how reason's matrix sequencer works or many other monophonic step sequencers.

Essentially all it would be would be exclusive input of midi notes per whatever time duration you have your grid set at.
Professional Shark Jumper.

DNU

Re: Monophonic mode in piano roll please.

Post by DNU » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:54 am

+1
eliminating the extra step of having to erase unwanted notes would be great for workflow and creativity. Because even for a split second you're thinking about erasing unwanted notes, you're never in a complete flow. The piano roll should feel like a real-time instrument.

Ableton has a similar feature : Shift + click where you want the "selected" note to be and it'll jump there. But the problem is you have to select a note first and also it won't jump to any notes above or below the same position of the selected note.

tealwarrior

Re: Monophonic mode in piano roll please.

Post by tealwarrior » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:05 pm

I imagined this a button in notes panel that works similar to current legato button, honoring the start of notes, but adjusting ends back if they overlap with the next note. I would even take option-legato instead of a dedicated button!