PDC and beat-time devices: a discussion and a possible solution

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jbone1313

PDC and beat-time devices: a discussion and a possible solution

Post by jbone1313 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:35 pm

Many of us are aware that built-in device modulation synced to the Live transport (i.e. synced to a specific beat-time position) is not compensated. E.g., Beat Repeat and Arpeggiator are not latency compensated when they are preceded by latency inducing devices in their signal path.

As a proof-of-concept and as an experiment, I tried to wrap Live's Arpeggiator effect in Max For Live and set its Free (not synced) parameter value to a calculated value given the current tempo and desired beat division. It worked fine for evenly divisible values, but other values would cause the effect to tempo drift. If the resolution of the Free parameter were finer, then it could have "worked," but there would always be some drift. In practice, that drift might be unnoticeable with the right float precision. IIRC, at a fine enough precision, the drift would be nanoseconds even after like 24 hours.

I think most users would accept an unnoticeable amount of drift in exchange for delay compensation - especially if it were a toggleable option.

Could Ableton update their beat-time based effects with a "Compensated Sync Mode" option with the caveat that there could be some miniscule and unnoticeable tempo drift?

schlam

Re: PDC and beat-time devices: a discussion and a possible solution

Post by schlam » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:06 pm

+ 1