Live 12 won't launch

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
arbitraryG

Re: Live 12 won't launch

Post by arbitraryG » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:23 am

So let me get this right--I own dozens of pieces of musical software, and you guys decided to be ONLY people making software that WILL NOT RUN ON ANY CPU NOT BUILT IN THE LAST 10 YEARS. I don't know what AVX2 instructions are, but they're "new"--2013 was the first moment it existed, so it didn't get mainstream for years after. That's a shocking requirement for such a frugal community. Do you have ANY IDEA how many of us just can't afford to throw a perfectly functioning, dang-fast computer into the trash just to run Ableton? Or what about those of us with a main rig and then some satellite systems that are less beefy. I now need TWO new computers just to use the piano in the other room. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? Did you even ask if the community would be fine losing support for every old system they have? Not cool at all. Everyone on this page is saying things that tell me that this is their problem too, a tiny note that SUSPICIOUSLY is now the only thing IN BOLD note on the requirements page. I sure never noticed it before, but honestly I wasn't expecting this type of door being slammed on me. This term is something YOU ALL KNOW we'd all have to google and search for. That feels downright dishonest to not call out the V12 will only work on newer CPUS. You hid this. So I guess all of us here need to ask for a refund or find a few grand to do an update we didn't need. Extremely disappointed for such a loyal customer. This is my passion, not my living--there's no way to make this all work. I'm sure the extra speed in number crunching is fabulous, but my WORKING version 11 is way faster...

Bee-Vai

Post by Bee-Vai » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:15 am

Moreover it seems like that note about AVX2 is hidden on a rather obscure help page about system requirements (https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... quirements) and not on the actual store page (https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/). Personally I was already planning on upgrading very soon so it won't kill me but for those who can't this absolutely sucks and is very dishonest.

Primalfoo

Post by Primalfoo » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:24 am

If this is in fact because of my core i5 not supporting avx2, then 1) I wish they had made that clear at purchase time, and 2) at the very least I would've expected the installer to detect that and warn me upfront. Throwing another $nK to upgrade my system wasn't something I had in mind. Is it too much to ask for a release that can detect avx2 support and if not available fallback to sse2? I will happily take the performance hit.

MladenDJT

Post by MladenDJT » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:07 am

MladenDJT wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:31 pm
Same problem here

Just to note that Live 11 works perfectly fine for me without any problems. But Live 12 doesn't start at all, it just appears in the task manager for a few seconds. I tried everything that was possible and already written here, but it won't work. (i7, 4th gen, 16GB RAM)

ChocolateRicky

Post by ChocolateRicky » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:15 am

Maddening! Signed up for the L11 upgrade to include 'free' L12 and it won't load. Tried everything along uninstall/reinstall/uninstall previous versions/disconnect peripherals/disable antivirus... very frustrating. I'll give it a couple of days for a patch and go for the refund within 14 days. :cry:

mourad

Post by mourad » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:28 am

Good morning guys.
You can add this old dog to the long list of casualties. Same symptoms, same results, same desperation and definitely same level of anger :)
com´on Ableton, sort this shit out

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:33 am

At this page one can find if his/her CPU supports AVX2:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/e ... ssors.html
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Gral

Post by Gral » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:15 am

The lucky Linux user with a dual boot system (Windows/Linux) can easily check if the CPU supports avx2:

Under Linux open a console and type:

cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep avx2

My CPU (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz) does support it. Although this thing is quite old (around 10 years or so).

I haven't installed L12 so far. Therefore I cannot say if it runs on my system.

Isn't there a build in tool for Windows to check the avx2 flag of the CPU?

Edit:
Tonight I installed L12.

What can I say? It works with my CPU dinosaur without any problems so far. Everything as expected. No CPU overload, same speed as before. The tested projects also run without any problems. I have not noticed any plugin problems so far.
Last edited by Gral on Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helonius

Post by helonius » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:28 am

Same issue here with L12 while L11 runs ok. Indeed my CPU does not support AVX2. Turns out somebody already reported this issue during the beta: https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... se_my_cpu/
Yeah I can understand older hardware cannot be supported forever but I'm dissapointed.

gandalf458

Post by gandalf458 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:30 am

It's bad that Ableton don't warn you (a) before buying the upgrade, (b) when you install and if you do install (c) when you try to run Live.

Any half-decent software company would do at least one of those.

3xtrat3rr3strial

Post by 3xtrat3rr3strial » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:38 am

Same issue for me.

Downloaded and installed yesterday morning. No dice.
Uninstalled everything related to Ableton, downloaded, and re-installed 12. No dice.
Restarted computer. No dice.
Ran 12 as Administrator and let the computer think about opening it overnight. No dice.

Guess I will re-install 11 so I can keep working.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:33 pm

Gral wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:15 am

Isn't there a build in tool for Windows to check the avx2 flag of the CPU?
It is, under my link on that page of Intel. And no not build into Windows.......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:44 pm

notanotherusername wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:32 am
I'm having the same problem on Windows 10 :( FWIW I'm running Dual Xeon processors with 8 cores each, yielding 32 HT processors, and 64gb ram.

Installed as administrator, rebooted, run as administrator, it fails. Reinstall same problem. I am installing offline.

For those worried about CPUs, I'm assuming the CPU requirement is just a recommendation to get adequate performance from the app. Windows and apps don't care what CPU is installed, because the hardware abstraction layer makes it agnostic.

When looking for crash reports in ...\livereports, I noticed that there are directories for 11.x in the parent directory holding ..\livereports, but none for 12.x - maybe because it never started.

Not a great start, but things happen.
I'm also running an older dual Xeon system (Sandy Bridge) which I use to edit videos for my work.
And yeah Live 12 won't work on this either (works fine on my home PC which is somewhat more modern AMD system).
Would be nice if Ableton warned about this beforehand but for me it's OK. I don't use this system for making music anyway (though I sometimes use Live on it to add some audio to video). Recent versions of some Adobe apps also don't work on this system anymore due to the AVX2 thing.
In the past 10-15 years it hasn't been nearly as neccessary to upgrade PC's regularly as it was in the past, unless you're a gamer, so I think much more people are still rocking older CPU's than 10-15 years ago.
Last edited by snakedogman on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:50 pm

Bee-Vai wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:15 am
Moreover it seems like that note about AVX2 is hidden on a rather obscure help page about system requirements (https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... quirements) and not on the actual store page (https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/). Personally I was already planning on upgrading very soon so it won't kill me but for those who can't this absolutely sucks and is very dishonest.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I looked at this page yesterday and it didn't even mention AVX2 specifically. It seems like they've added that since yesterday! (although the generation was mentioned).

cids

Post by cids » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:28 pm

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ssors.html

How to Know If My Intel® Processor Supports Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (Intel® AVX2)
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2