Live 11.3.3 visual lag & high cpu usage

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aeser

Re: Live 11.3.3 visual lag & high cpu usage

Post by aeser » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:09 pm

I feel like I'm going crazy as werll. I have an older Mac but the specs are still ok, it's a 4.2ghz quad core i7 with 16gb of RAM and a 3TB fusion drive running Ventura 13.6. Ableton and everything (including superior drummer 3 and my universal audio apollo twin duo interfaces firmware and software are all current and up to date) and it never USED to do this but even JUST with ableton and a drum kit running in superior drummer with like 11 tracks in Ableton and Superior Drummer routing the drum tracks to buses (so like say there's 2-3 kick drum mic's in superior drummer, they all go to 1 bus, 2 snare tracks, 1 bus, about 11 busses usually when all said and done for the drum kit, then routing the busses to audio tracks that go to ableton to record and mix each drum track separately which i NEVER used to have ANY problem with but now it's bombing out on me regularly and i'm hearing pops and cracks and it i try to use any plug ins like EQ's in ableton on the individual drum tracks it sweats hard, where it never used to. I used to be able to do 15+ separate drum tracks with separate EQ's/compressors/etc on each one and still record guitars in and such no problem (at 128 buffer size, i keep hearing people with the same problem talk about increasing their buffer size which for me is a catch 22 as it might improve the pops and cracks with ableton and superior drummer but then it makes the latency too bad to play the guitar into the computer and such.

Unfortunately I have no money for a new computer, I know mine is a tad old (2017) but processor speed has not increased a whole lot in that time except for the new apple silicon M3 max processors (no longer have Moore's law where processor speed doubles every year and a half, they've hit a wall with how many transistors they can fit on a wafer and now just try to pack more cores onto each chip, or completely design a new CPU like the M3's and or architecture) so while a new computer would net me more performance no doubt, it wouldn't net me the kind of increase in performance it would have in the past and even though as apple loves to push people off cliffs to make them upgrade to their newer hardware/software, and my (in my opinion) totally fine 2017 iMac with a 4.2ghz quad core i7 and 16gb of RAM and a 3TB fusion drive should in my opinion be able to run everything around today fine, they don't allot their newest OS, Sonoma, to even run on my hardware, and the newest OS I can even run is Ventura, so the writing is on the wall and I'm likely going to need a new computer at some point in the near future to run current software.

terminar

Re: Live 11.3.3 visual lag & high cpu usage - fixed

Post by terminar » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:59 am

Hey,

maybe i can give some hope here with the following info: some feedback regarding Live with
lower or equal version than 11.3.13 running on a Mac M1 Pro with critical gui performance problems.

I can't remember when it began (i think somewhere since 11.3) but Live got unusable even with one or two tracks and some general plugins.
When i started play/loop everything in the gui nearly freezes with very low fps (felt like 2-3fps).

Audio played well but i wasn't able to operate within the gui or any plugin as long as audio was playing.
Even the transport buttons within Live weren't reacting anymore, i was only able to stop externally via the Push.

I tried to isolate the problems with the support, there is a known bug regarding scaling/native resolution on
macOS (or just the newer ARM versions, not sure in detail) but that was not my case (tried with internal display, used
native resolution, tried with different option.txt stuff....).

What i can say is, i was able to test the same projects with Live 11.3.20b6 (beta) and i had no issues anymore.
Even with switching between the two versions (11.3.20b6 and 11.3.13) the problem was 100% reproducible.

In my case, that means the next release version should be a big step forward to more stability and usability on macOS for me.
I am still not sure if i just killed my 11.3.13 installation (support told me that some options are stored by-version).

Bye
Björn

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:15 pm

Yeah 11 doesnt run the best, in my opinion-still. Odd that 12 runs more smoother, and has no CPU overload warnings. 10 had o issues as well.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:39 am

Street Spirit wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:15 pm
Yeah 11 doesnt run the best, in my opinion-still. Odd that 12 runs more smoother, and has no CPU overload warnings. 10 had o issues as well.
If some users had issues with versions > 11.3 and had an Intel processor with the Alder Lake or newer architecture. These have performance and efficiency cores. There was an issue in 11.3 regarding those CPUs, that was resolved recently and the resolution is (obviously) in L12.

I stayed on 11.2 for ages because my CPU is an overclocked Alderlake era. i7-12700K and had this issue, but it is now resolved.