Live 9 Suite installer won't work

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JAZMAN

Live 9 Suite installer won't work

Post by JAZMAN » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:33 am

So I went ahead and purchased a new M1 MacBook Air.
I have tried repeatedly to install Live 9 Suite, the only version I currently own, from the link in the "My Account" page.
I have tried downloading it several times but the result is the same. I drag the installer into 'applications' as directed but when I try to open it it just freezes. It did ask for 'Roseta' at the first attempt which I clicked on. Maybe I'm missing something there.
I gave up and downloaded the demo version of Live12 suite and it runs perfectly. Might be a problem with heavy usage but my usage should be pretty light. Main interest in 'Live' at all these days is to use it in conjunction with Akai Force. Some of those new midi effects seem pretty cool though.
Question is:
If Live12 runs perfectly, how come Live9 will not even install?

yur2die4

Re: Live 9 Suite installer won't work

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:37 am

Live 9 is from several years before M1 CPUs were out. It has absolutely no support for the M1, and it would not make sense to try to make all the old versions of Live supported.

Rosetta isn’t a guarantee for making things work. It’s more for things that are still more recent but weren’t fully developed with the M1 conversion in mind. Anything new should most likely not require Rosetta to run.

MrPreskovik

Post by MrPreskovik » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:47 am

The Ableton knowledge base states that Live 9 is compatible up to MacOS Catalina (10.15) which dates from 2019, before the Mac Silicon/M1 area.

See this page on the Ableton website:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -or-higher

JAZMAN

Post by JAZMAN » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:59 am

Thanks for that.
Actually says it's not supported on 10.15 which explains why I had problems on my old MBP when the demo of 11 ran fine. It was actually when 12 stated it needed beyond that, that prompted me to try a MacBook Air (already the minimum specs).
Bought it as a stop gap though as I can not afford many times the price for a new upgraded MBP.
I'll keep using the demo and if I decide it's worth it will just pay the upgrade price.
Do you know if it's possible to keep the basic program on the start up drive and install downloadable content to an external ssd?
Same as I will with NI Komplete Ultimate ce 12, which I will then upgrade to 14 when next on special.

MrPreskovik

Post by MrPreskovik » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:41 am

JAZMAN wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:59 am
Do you know if it's possible to keep the basic program on the start up drive and install downloadable content to an external ssd?
It is. You just have to specify the new location of your content in the Preferences of Live.

JAZMAN

Post by JAZMAN » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:44 pm

Thank you :D