Where should my own similar samples be stored?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SvenH

Where should my own similar samples be stored?

Post by SvenH » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:17 am

What folders containing my own custom samples are included when using the "similar sample" of Live 12? (I searched the Preferences dialog, but found nothing obvious).

CH7

Re: Where should my own similar samples be stored?

Post by CH7 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:16 pm

I would create another partition on your drive, save your projects and samples there,

Also, I would install Live on that separate partition, eg not on the main OS partition. If your OS crashes, or you need to move Live, you can create a fresh OS partition and recover most of your Live install.

Live may place files in the public access folders and in your Documents folder unless you tell it otherwise. - windows -
In Live you can create a user folder and then point it to where you want your projects saved. ditto samples etc

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:13 pm

Thanks for your reply, but I am not sure my question was clear. Let me try again:

I actually already have a system where I put projects and custom samples on another hdd and my samples are stored in a folder named "LoopsAndSamples" on that drive. However, I have never specified that Live should look specifically in that folder for similar samples - how do I tell Live where my samples are stored? Or does Live automatically search all samples on all my HDDs? That is a lot of files to analyze...

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:58 pm

I have an idea of a possible reply to my own question - maybe it is the folders that are added to Places that also gets indexed for "similar samples" searches? I think so.

Sorry if this is so obvious that others didn't understand my stupid question :lol:

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:19 am

Yes, folders under Places. Live can only index what it is 'aware' of.