Live 12: A Bug? "Show Scroll Bars (When Scrolling)" -- No Horizontal Scroll Bar in Session View

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
otalgia99

Live 12: A Bug? "Show Scroll Bars (When Scrolling)" -- No Horizontal Scroll Bar in Session View

Post by otalgia99 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:06 pm

Hello again

Live 12 / Mac OS 13.2.1 "Ventura":

The Session View horizontal scroll bar doesn't appear when "Show Scroll Bars" preference is set to "When Scrolling" and I use the cursor key to move between tracks.

In my setup, absent a visible scroll bar the cursor is the only way to scroll horizontally -- my trackball mouse has only a vertical scroll wheel.

I don't know whether or not using the cursor key for scrolling was ever intended to invoke the scroll bar -- in the browser it does not, one must start scrolling for the bar to appear.

I'm not sure this if this is properly a bug or the intended behavior, but it would be great if sequential cursor highlighting in both the browser and the tracks windows could be detected as scrolling.

Thanks,
o99
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite

Cypeace

Re: Live 12: A Bug? "Show Scroll Bars (When Scrolling)" -- No Horizontal Scroll Bar in Session View

Post by Cypeace » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:52 am

Preferences -> always show scrollbar os something

Rivanni

Re: Live 12: A Bug? "Show Scroll Bars (When Scrolling)" -- No Horizontal Scroll Bar in Session View

Post by Rivanni » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:07 am

A new setting has been added to provide a cleaner interface.
In Preferences > Display & Input > Show Scroll Bars setting, you can choose to show the scroll bars Always or only when scrolling. If you choose the latter option, you will see the scroll bar inside the colored track indicators when you start scrolling. If you don't scroll, the scroll bar handle is not visible.

You can scroll even when you don't see the scroll bar. Moving the mouse cursor to the scroll bar is unnecessary either. Just perform the scroll action in the related area. It'll save you time.

You can use the scroll feature of your mouse or trackpad. (Horizontal) scroll wheel, two-finger swipe, etc.
Depending on the scroll function, you may have to hold ⟨sʜɪꜰᴛ⟩ to turn a vertical scroll into a horizontal one.

When your device doesn't have a scroll feature, and you must click and drag the scroll bar handle, it is best to set the scroll bar option to Always. ​​Of course, you can set it to Always, regardless of your input device's capabilities.
Note that the setting you choose will apply to all scroll bars within Live.

otalgia99

Post by otalgia99 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:29 pm

Rivanni wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:07 am
A new setting has been added to provide a cleaner interface.
In Preferences > Display & Input > Show Scroll Bars setting, you can choose to show the scroll bars Always or only when scrolling. If you choose the latter option, you will see the scroll bar inside the colored track indicators when you start scrolling. If you don't scroll, the scroll bar handle is not visible.

You can scroll even when you don't see the scroll bar. Moving the mouse cursor to the scroll bar is unnecessary either. Just perform the scroll action in the related area. It'll save you time.

You can use the scroll feature of your mouse or trackpad. (Horizontal) scroll wheel, two-finger swipe, etc.
Depending on the scroll function, you may have to hold ⟨sʜɪꜰᴛ⟩ to turn a vertical scroll into a horizontal one.

When your device doesn't have a scroll feature, and you must click and drag the scroll bar handle, it is best to set the scroll bar option to Always. ​​Of course, you can set it to Always, regardless of your input device's capabilities.
Note that the setting you choose will apply to all scroll bars within Live.
Thank you very much for the reply.

I was aware of the "Always / When Scrolling" preferences option and had been enjoying the streamlined appearance with that set to "When Scrolling."

But although I have used and relied upon my trackball mouse for years, I never knew that SHFT + [scrollwheel] produced a horizontal scroll before now and for that absolutely essential tip I am tremendously grateful.

Thank you very, very much!

o99
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite

otalgia99

Post by otalgia99 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:04 pm

...And I notice now that, with the "While Scrolling" preference selected, the horizontal scroll appearance in Session View is really quite discreet.

Not unattractive, but about as low-profile as it could possibly get!

o99
Perform. rig

Prod. rig