Can we have the MASTER name back?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ratox

Can we have the MASTER name back?

Post by ratox » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:23 pm

It looks like a nonsense (I hope they didn't try to chase some "politically correct"trend) and it's also a conflict with ClyphX Pro nomenclature. Who wants the MASTER nomenclature back for the master track?
A.

chapelier fou

Re: Can we have the MASTER name back?

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:37 pm

Can’t you rename the track and save it as your default set ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:17 am

ratox wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:23 pm
I hope they didn't try to chase some "politically correct"trend
They did it because of political correctness. For the same reason, we haveLeader/Follower instead of Master/Slave.
Also, packs and presets have been renamed in the last few years. Words like Urban and Tribal have been removed/replaced.

Can’t you rename the track and save it as your default set ?
Nope, you cannot rename it.

Teddy66

Post by Teddy66 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:21 am

Rivanni wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:17 am
They did it because of political correctness. For the same reason, we haveLeader/Follower instead of Master/Slave.
Also, packs and presets have been renamed in the last few years. Words like Urban and Tribal have been removed/replaced.
If this is the legit reason for renaming the Master track to Main, then that's just preposterous. I have nothing else to say.

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:27 pm

Replacing Master/Slave is PC gone mad. Those words mean what they mean, and the metaphor is valid.

The fact that English villagers on the coast of Cornwall were taken by Barbery pirates and traded in the North African Muslim world in history does not offend me. I do not think that all Muslims are bad because of this, because I have a sense of proportion and realise there are a minority of bad elements in all cultures.

Some of my historical family come from the UK's south coast and were involved in fishing at day and smuggling at night. Presumeably someone in my familial line was also abducted at some point in history, or would at least know of someone that was. They became slaves, just as many west African's became slaves at the behest of some evil British 'businessmen'. This does not mean that all British are evil or should be admonished on the global stage forever.

It also demonstrates that changeing metaphors has no value, and actually is detrimental to the memory of what has actually happened in history. Honor histories truth by saying 'Master/Slave'.
Last edited by Cloth Ears on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:29 pm

Cloth Ears wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:27 pm
Replacing Master/Slave is PC gone mad. Those words mean what they mean, and the metaphor is valid.
Agree...
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:59 pm

Master/Slave or Leader/Follower, both are bad choices and can signify the same thing, metaphorical or not imo.
But common', politics are not allowed on this forum, and I'm sure the ClyphX dev can update the tool so it works with "Main", which is the only relevant point here.
Langages - their use - evolve, please don't start this topic here. I don't want to lock this thread as the ClyphX issue is a valid one, let's just take it to its dev.
Thx
Ableton Forum Moderator