Can I just say how *great* Live 12 is?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rgarner

Can I just say how *great* Live 12 is?

Post by rgarner » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:12 am

In amongst the rest of the posts with support-type questions (mine included) I notice now that I can't go back to 11 without feeling a bit like I'm missing out.

The new browser — great. The sound similarity search — great. Meld is very interesting (although I struggle to find the sweet spots). Roar, though: really great.

But by far the best improvements to me are to the MIDI editor (split note! Finally!) and the accessibility with new shortcut keys for things I use a lot. And it *looks* fantastic as well; 11 feels a bit of a shell to me now. It *feels* snappier too. Lots less of the beachball.

Really my only issue has been that it made the *fans* come on on this M1Max. That's Logic's job, people.

Anyway. I don't want to end on that. This is a truly lovely release. Hats off.

Mister Natural

Re: Can I just say how *great* Live 12 is?

Post by Mister Natural » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:19 pm

seconding above
I'm just digging into the midi "transformations" & I can't help but think this is the biggest advance since v.6 It's super midi fun.
have only demo'd Meld but found some very interesting knobs to turn in Roar !
also agreeing that the software seems faster to load/change and less cpu stressful
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

DavidassMagoza

Post by DavidassMagoza » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:36 am

I have to agree that it is such a worthy paid update, Meld is deceptively great, Roar fills a void that was missing for me and just adds so much depth and character to stuff, this one device is worth the upgrade alone to me. Then the new browser has me addicted to tagging all my stuff with the vision of every sound I love, right where it needs to be found. These 3 alone are more than enough to keep me busy for ages.

The only disappointment I have is when I look over at my poor old push 3 standalone and it feels like it's the step brother that never gets the love & attention he really needs and most importantly deserves. I really do feel like selling it as it will probably never do everything that I believe is essential for it to do any time soon.

Back to tagging. :mrgreen:

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:35 am

Live 12 brought some GUI improvements that I have been wanting for a LONG time:

Being able to see both Clips AND Devices at the same time.

Mixer in Arrangement view.

Ability to move & reposition Returns (now if we could only put them anywhere we wanted)

These alone have me smiling.

rgarner

Post by rgarner » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:25 am

DavidassMagoza wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:36 am
look over at my poor old push 3 standalone and it feels like it's the step brother that never gets the love & attention he really needs and most importantly deserves. I really do feel like selling it as it will probably never do everything that I believe is essential for it to do any time soon.
I have the P3C and I don't feel like this necessarily, but I *do* feel like some stuff in 12 I can only really do on the computer. They gave Meld a really good go, but you need the on-screen matrix.

DavidassMagoza

Post by DavidassMagoza » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:56 pm

Its a shame they couldnt utilise the MPE in the pads somehow as a modulation grid, ie: sliding left and right adjusts positive & negative values and the screen could display like the session tab does a representation of the pads with a description of each modulator, and you could use the jog wheel to select the modulator and then the relevant encoder to modulate.

Just a though.