Arrangement View Lag Fix

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
aoaoaoao

Arrangement View Lag Fix

Post by aoaoaoao » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:15 am

Hey! :D

I was wondering if anybody else has been experiencing this issue which has seemingly existed in ableton live since the mid 2000s, and in my experience, doesn't happen in pretty much any other daw. It's when ableton starts to choke up when adding/removing/duplicating/grouping/reordering tracks, instruments, and effects in a larger live set. (there may be more that i'm unaware of)

Here's a thread on it from nearly two decades ago: viewtopic.php?t=29141&hilit=large+project+lag

If you want to try it for yourself simply take a track, add one or two effects to it (or even leave it blank!), and just hold duplicate. You'll notice that by the time it reaches 100 tracks the delay gets pretty significant, at least it is for me.

Upon completion, my live sets typically contain a minimum of 300 tracks with various groups, each having at least an eq and compressor; you can see how this would add up and how the couple of seconds every time i do anything can become a big frustration, especially seeing how far back the threads on this type of lag goes.

I'm very curious to see if anybody else has been experiencing this and would like to see a fix for this! When i first took notice of it, I thought the culprit was my computer (I'm on a base M1 chip), but after talking to friends who use live and seeing that old forum post linked above and the numerous others along with it I believe it's something they could fix in an update to ableton live 12! That would certainly be a fix that would keep me a happy user!