Ghost Latency

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Idemax

Re: Ghost Latency

Post by Idemax » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:08 pm

scg wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:33 pm
Regarding the meta-discussion about the software, I admit I'm a little skeptical about the claim that this should be simple to implement, or that the choice of programming language would be relevant (if Python is used, my guess is it's only for higher-level code like UI - I'd be surprised if it had any significant bearing on the core audio code). But, maybe you have something in mind that's not immediately obvious from the context.

In any case, different DAWs of course have different strengths and weaknesses. Just as an example, Ableton handles plugin bypass automation much better than Logic does (in my experience at least), which can be very useful for certain kinds of production (yur2die4 alluded to this above). So I certainly like how Ableton handles things in that regard. A 'disabled vs bypassed' feature might be a nice addition, but it also might be nontrivial to implement.

On the original topic though, are you having timing issues between tracks, or is it just that playback start is delayed, and the visuals (e.g. playhead) aren't in sync? I'm not clear which is happening from your video, and it seems relevant because the former would (IMO) be a more significant problem than the latter.
nice POV

just playback delayed

:)

Idemax

Post by Idemax » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:09 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:05 pm
I’d like to point out also that people don’t always just turn a device off or on for a particular situation. Sometimes people use device on off for Mapping (an example being chain selection or instrument selection), or for Automation.

So sometimes these devices will be turned off and on quite rapidly. Possibly even beyond a 32nd note interval etc.
very good point

thus i believe a bypass would be nice to have

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:19 pm

Idemax wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:45 pm
scheffkoch wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:52 pm
...but what should happen when you turn on the plugin while transport is running?...
Is not about turning on. Is about don't add latency when is turned off.
the point you keep missing is that Live implements a plugin bypass method that makes it possible for a plugin with latency to be bypassed and unbypassed without causing an interruption to audio buffering, making seamless playback possible. this is critical in a Live context, and probably even in a production context for most people.

you are asking for a feature that would cause Live to recalculate the latency of a track when a plugin is disabled. this can't be done without temporarily interrupting the audio buffering somewhere. if a track has a plugin that causes 100ms of latency, then every other track in the set needs to be delayed by 100ms to compensate. what needs to happen if that plugin is now disabled completely, removing the latency from the set, while the transport is running?

Idemax

Post by Idemax » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:51 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:19 pm
Idemax wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:45 pm
scheffkoch wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:52 pm
...but what should happen when you turn on the plugin while transport is running?...
Is not about turning on. Is about don't add latency when is turned off.
the point you keep missing is that Live implements a plugin bypass method that makes it possible for a plugin with latency to be bypassed and unbypassed without causing an interruption to audio buffering, making seamless playback possible. this is critical in a Live context, and probably even in a production context for most people.

you are asking for a feature that would cause Live to recalculate the latency of a track when a plugin is disabled. this can't be done without temporarily interrupting the audio buffering somewhere. if a track has a plugin that causes 100ms of latency, then every other track in the set needs to be delayed by 100ms to compensate. what needs to happen if that plugin is now disabled completely, removing the latency from the set, while the transport is running?
I believe the latency is not added but calculated based on how much time the vst takes to process a sample based on buffer, as you mentioned, good point about it

What I'm figuring based on other answers, very good btw, is to have a bypass who behaves as the VST is not added.

I got the point why the on/off would make sense for live performing but not for music production. A live act might need to have the plugin ready to go as well as a producer in studio would not and could save CPU and some latency for those who cannot afford fast computers.

✌️

daniel_seabra

Post by daniel_seabra » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:50 pm

I've read the previous messages and indeed I understand and respect the reason behind the strategy of not being able to actually disable a plugin in a channel. Since the nature of Ableton is live action, makes sense not having this feature because indeed it really does glitch the audio. But discussing if it is hard to implement or not, is a responsibility of the company. They will add the feature being hard or not, if lots of people start to complain with it.

That's it.

And as already mentioned, each DAW has its PRO's and CON's. I started to use Ableton recently (I am a long time Cubase user) and already saw lots of amazing things in it, much better than Cubase and also other things that Cubase works light years better (for instance, in Cubase you can disable the plugin and not have the latency in the case, you can add plugins in the control room section which is a section that is not considered when doing mixdown so you don't need to be aware to turn some monitoring plugins [such as SoundID Reference for instance] off before mixdown, etc.).

It is just a matter on adapting how to work with the DAW until the feature end up being added or not! So, I see that worth, as a producer, to be able to have more than one DAW since you can manage the downsides of each, where depending of the project you use one or the other, or even use one, and then for certain things you move to the other, create what you want, and then import in the other DAW (e.g., the built-in arpeggiator of Ableton is insanely amazing, where the Cubase one is the worst thing ever created).