Consolidate / Quantisze Greyed Out - solved

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BatfinkBuddy

Consolidate / Quantisze Greyed Out - solved

Post by BatfinkBuddy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 am

I could not consolidate audio clips with CTRL J or by right clicking the samples or by using the edit tab, as "Consolidate" was greyed out.

I noticed several other things greyed out too, such as"Quantize".

Turns out the problem was due to Ableton disconnecting from my Audio Device after watching a youtube video on the same system..

Solution:

Go to "Options" / "Preferences" / "Audio" / "Audio Device" and if it says "No Device" just click and choose your interface and voila, it will all be working again.

Hope this helps someone.

Not happy Dan

Re: Consolidate / Quantisze Greyed Out - solved

Post by Not happy Dan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:34 am

I've been using Ableton for a while now, and the quantize button is always greyed out. I've done everything that has been suggested in these forums to try and utilise this feature, but I just can't seem to get it happening. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but can't workout what. Can someone please help me? Thanks.

kladkins11

Post by kladkins11 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:10 am

Not happy Dan wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:34 am
I've been using Ableton for a while now, and the quantize button is always greyed out. I've done everything that has been suggested in these forums to try and utilise this feature, but I just can't seem to get it happening. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but can't workout what. Can someone please help me? Thanks.
Same

pairajacks

Post by pairajacks » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:57 am

Same problem; I've got a blank file... and cntl J still doesn't work. I tried a different keyboard. Is there a way to monitor what cntl J sends?

Ableton's suggestions below... tried #1, it's pretty advanced to expect user to know how to do #2 and #3. When Ableton is loaded, doesn't it impose it's own shortcuts?

1. Ensure that there are no Key Mappings that conflict with the shortcuts. Certain plug-ins can hijack the keyboard when their GUI is open. Close all plug-in GUIs and try again. If it's still not working, try in a completely blank Set instead.
2. Certain taskbar utilities may use the same keyboard shortcuts. Close them or disable their keyboard shortcuts.
3. Certain graphics cards (especially those geared for gaming), have keyboard shortcuts that conflict with Live's shortcuts. Open your graphics card control panel and disable these keyboard shortcuts.