Annoying issue with VST plugins

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Robsdrummer

Annoying issue with VST plugins

Post by Robsdrummer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:51 am

Hi there,
I am a NI user and I like using my plugins in Live.
Everything was fine in Live 11, all the plugins are still working well. But in Live 12, some VST3 plugins (Maschine 2, Massive, Massive X, Reaktor... etc) are NOT working at all. It just reads that the pluging "can't be found" or that it "can't be opened".
Worst, VST2 versions of the plugins are just making Live crash (a serious occured.. blah blah)

The folders are correctly set (well the VST3 folder is just Windows default folder) and I've tried to check the folder again and again...
Reinstalling some of the plugins with NI installer also didn't work.
I can't figure out a solution for now and the plugins are working fine in Live 11 and Reaper...

Thanks!

(Ableton is installed on an SSD drive / AMD CPU Ryzen 5 3600 / 32go ram / WIN 11)

SundogIllionaire

Re: Annoying issue with VST plugins

Post by SundogIllionaire » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:41 pm

Not sure if you managed to fix this but I had the same issue with all my NI stuff, just managed to sort it out:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi All,

Hope this might help someone who is having issues with VST plugins. I was having issues with a lot of plugins both VST3 and VST2 versions. Most of my Native Instruments plugins and a number of other 3rd party plugins weren't loading. Although they appeared in my plugin list, when I tried to load them it would either say the VST plugin could not be found (and load that blank plugin), or crash Live 12. I'm running Windows 11.

The issue in my case was a permission issue. Setting Live 12 to always run as an administrator in the application properties, and adding Live 12 as an allowed app for Controlled Folder access in Windows Security has fixed the problem for me I think. I'm guess the lack of permissions was preventing Live from being able to access the file directories it needs.

Hope this solves someone's issues! All the best.

Peace!

Mister Natural

Re: Annoying issue with VST plugins

Post by Mister Natural » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:50 pm

I also had some difficulty with a plugin that had both vst2 and vst3 versions. LIVE could not "decide" which one to recognize - deleted one of them and the plug now runs fine.
Best of luck
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile