Brand New Push - Failing to Boot

Discuss Push with other users.
gmackie

Brand New Push - Failing to Boot

Post by gmackie » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:02 am

When Push 3 was launched I, like many, were excited about this potential game changing bit of kit, especially as being an avid fan of Push 2. However, soon there was a flood of reports about issues with the hardware/software that many on this forum will be all to familiar with. So, I decided to wait before buying it. I waited 10 months until pulling the trigger.

I ordered Push a week or so ago and got a receipt with a tracking number which linked to nowhere and, thus I had no clue who the courier was and when it would be arriving. It arrived on Friday evening and figured this will be a fun way to spend the weekend learning bout my new "toy" that I have been waiting for so long. Saturday morning I carefully unpack it and plug it in and it failed to boot - I get the Push symbol on the screen and the pads displaying a moving pattern of white lights. I then followed the instructions on the Support pages to try and resolve the problem including the Recovery download but all to no avail.

I have contacted Ableton support and heavens know a) when I will get a reply especially with Ableton 12 due to be released b) based on a very recent experience with a question about Ableton 11 if the support will be of any use.

Whilst I can understand that sometimes problems happen but when Ableton has almost £1,700 of my money I expect a speedy resolution i.e. a new Push 3 asap or frankly I will just demand a refund.

Just wondered if anyone else had these type of issues and any advise that can be passed on based their experiences.

Grant

dcjams

Re: Brand New Push - Failing to Boot

Post by dcjams » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:20 am

That sucks. How disappointing.

The support situation doesn't seem to have improved. Nobody knows why.

You can't even send a follow up as it pushes you back to the beqginning of the queue.

There's various threads about boot issues on the forum so if you haven't had a route around then do.

If it's a brick absolutely demand a replacement, not a repair.

gmackie

Post by gmackie » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:59 am

Thanks for the reply dcjams. You are totally correct about the support situation and that is what I am dreading now. Whilst disappointing that the Push did not work out of the box, things happen but it is now how long it takes to get resolved that I am dreading. Thank you for the suggestion about the threads, I take take a look for some help but it seems I have done everything I can - also if there is inherent bug in the system I want a new machine.

Have a god one and cheers.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:07 pm

Is it a Standalone or a Controller version?
Ableton Forum Moderator

gmackie

Post by gmackie » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:10 pm

Hi, It is Standalone.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:10 pm

Did you try holding the User button while powering it up?
Is it working in Controller mode?
Ableton Forum Moderator

gmackie

Post by gmackie » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:12 am

I did try that and also the other suggestions on the Ableton Support pages including the recovery process via a flash drive and powering on/off several times. I did not try the set-up Controller mode though. Thanks

CH7

Post by CH7 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:29 pm

Have you at least followed the online Ableton video guides to activate the push, eg set up wifi to connect it to your Ableton account?

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... 5449a9b9e5

gmackie

Post by gmackie » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:40 pm

Hi,

I had the Ableton video running from the start. I cannot get to the point of setting up Wifi etc.. As soon as I switch it on it simply hangs with the Ableton symbol and "Push" being displayed on the screen and the pads lighting up with a white pattern. Left it running for 30+ minutes and nothing. I followed the Support pages of switching on and off several times and nothing and then downloaded the Recovery Image onto a flash drive and tried opening up with that and the user button held down - doing that I got to invoke Recovery Mode but that process still failed.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got a response from Ableton only to find that they think the case has been closed - so quick reply to inform them otherwise.

CH7

Post by CH7 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:39 pm

gmackie wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:40 pm
Hi,

I had the Ableton video running from the start. I cannot get to the point of setting up Wifi etc.. As soon as I switch it on it simply hangs with the Ableton symbol and "Push" being displayed on the screen and the pads lighting up with a white pattern. Left it running for 30+ minutes and nothing. I followed the Support pages of switching on and off several times and nothing and then downloaded the Recovery Image onto a flash drive and tried opening up with that and the user button held down - doing that I got to invoke Recovery Mode but that process still failed.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got a response from Ableton only to find that they think the case has been closed - so quick reply to inform them otherwise.
I see. Some devices have had issues connecting to certain wifi protocols.. Have you tried a USB Ethernet Dongle? Also, have you tried a factory reset? eg press the 'Settings' button, then select the software button, whilst holding shift. This reinitializes the 'data' partition.

BTW is this with the stock M.2 ssd?

gmackie

Post by gmackie » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:52 pm

A significant part of the issue is that as soon as I switch it on it hangs - just the Ableton symbol and Push displayed on the screen. Whatever I try I can't get past this even with a recovery upgrade on a flash drive. Sent a video to Ableton support tis afternoon so hopefully I'll get a resolution either they can fix (their fix did not work) or a new machine. Irrespective I'll post the result on here as it may help somebody else out in the future. Thanks for your feedback - much appreciated.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:15 pm

Sorry you’re dealing with this, but thanks for keeping us in the loop regarding the fixes (or not fixes in this case).

gmackie

Post by gmackie » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:48 pm

I have a new Push 3 and it works. There can be a lot of criticism for Support but in this case it was good - credit where credit is due. Aside from the suggestions on the Web Support pages and those kindly suggested on this thread my support person tried presented a few others which failed to boot the device. So, it was not the Warranty Team to get a replacement. This worked pretty well and the dud machine was sent back. It took almost a week for a new Push to arrive, which I suspect was due to the logistics company rather than Ableton Support. Anyway, the devices in here and working and now looking forward too the weekend and. getting meaningful time on it.

Thanks to all who contributed - it is greatly appreciated.