Simultaneously record into an arrangement from session midi clips and from a midi keyboard on the same track.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Valkon

Simultaneously record into an arrangement from session midi clips and from a midi keyboard on the same track.

Post by Valkon » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:21 am

Dear Sirs!
Currently, when recording the contents of a midi track from session mode to arrangement mode, we cannot record the sum of data from both the keyboard (from the "In" input) and from the session clip, since when starting a clip in "Auto" mode, the input "In" is immediately disabled (the selector is forced into "Off" mode).
This creates unreasonable difficulties during live performances: we cannot by simple means modify the sound of a repeating midi clip of a session in order to rid the final recording of excessive mechanicalness by achieving diversity in individual fragments (for this, we will have to run the session clip on a separate service track and route its output to the input of the summing track)! Moreover, an unnecessary monotonously repeating service clip of the session, without our consent (even if the “Record” button is not pressed), will be recorded in the arrangement clip on the duplicate track (uselessly wasting processor power).
Questions arise: why can’t we record into the arrangement mode signals from both a midi clip and from the keyboard, simultaneously sounding on ONE track, and why do we need to ARTIFICIALLY multiply the tracks, forcing the processor to double the load and at the same time clutter the screen with unnecessary (service) ones? tracks intended for roaming only?
Who and why decided that when recording into an arrangement, from the moment the session midi clip starts to start, recording from the keyboard input should completely stop (and not be combined with signals from the clip, as simple logic dictates, since - if the performer wanted to refuse from recording from the keyboard, he would have chosen the “Off” mode in the selector)?
Don't you think it should be the other way around: live keyboard performance signals should block signals from the midi clip (since the human factor should take precedence over the machine factor) or, at a minimum, record from both signal sources simultaneously (and the user will choose which ones will they need to be blocked)?!
I already drew the attention of developers to this problem on the Centercode resource, but there was no reaction.
In my deep conviction, the action of the input selector in the "Auto" mode is devoid of logic, and should be changed to the opposite (or the "ALL" mode should be added).
I would be grateful if you share your opinion on this matter...

chapelier fou

Re: Simultaneously record into an arrangement from session midi clips and from a midi keyboard on the same track.

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:58 am

I probably don’t get your post, because my answer is too simple : arm the track and enable overdub ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Valkon

Re: Simultaneously record into an arrangement from session midi clips and from a midi keyboard on the same track.

Post by Valkon » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:52 pm

Thanks for your reply! You really didn't quite understand me: we are not talking about re-recording an arrangement clip, but about recording from SESSION mode to ARRANGEMENT (with additional user data overdubbing on a short looped session clip)! Yes, in this case you can PLAY both a midi clip and notes from the keyboard at the same time, but as soon as you turn on the global recording mode, midi data from the keyboard is blocked (and the session clip continues to be recorded in the arrangement). The most interesting thing is that if you additionally enable the session recording mode, then recording notes from the keyboard resumes (but the original clip of the session is also overwritten, which is unacceptable)!

schlam

Post by schlam » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:59 pm

Hello.

I sent this issue to support some years ago...
Like lots of little bugs like that, it's stilll not fixed, and surely will never be.
...I find this issue very annoying too.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:21 pm

Ok, for some obscure reason I never got bothered by the issue, but you're damns right, I see how annoying it can be.

Valkon

Post by Valkon » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:36 am

schlam wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:59 pm
Hello.

I sent this issue to support some years ago...
Like lots of little bugs like that, it's stilll not fixed, and surely will never be.
...I find this issue very annoying too.
Could you please tell me what was the response to that request? Was any justification given for the current situation?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:16 pm

Yep, this is an (old) known issue/limitation.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Valkon

Post by Valkon » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:43 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:16 pm
Yep, this is an (old) known issue/limitation.
Thanks for your reply! Please tell me what is the root of the problem? Is it possible to make a switch in the settings (in which the priority is reversed) so that users can choose the desired setting for the "Auto" selector mode?! And on whom (or on what external circumstances) does such a decision depend?

schlam

Post by schlam » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:40 pm

Sorry to dont be very nice with Ableton here but I am sure that there is no real reason for this limitation...And I am quite sure that it will be never fixed like lots of others "little" limitations/bugs

I dream of a moment where they will say. "Ok lets stop to add more new synths and more effects and more stuffs and lets fix all those littles limitations"

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:52 pm

Don't take it bad @schlam, but this is a typical "this should be easy to code" situation.
You have no idea what this implies in the source code, and neither do I.

schlam

Post by schlam » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:27 pm

I dont say it's easy at all. I am not a coder, I just say that it is not fixed since years like lots of other important things that have to be fixed...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:04 pm

A bug report to Support never hurts :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

schlam

Post by schlam » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:27 pm

yes I know... I sent one few years ago, it was on Live 10...=)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:39 pm

schlam wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:27 pm
yes I know... I sent one few years ago, it was on Live 10...=)
Yeah, I remember this topic being discussed here back then.
Ableton Forum Moderator

schlam

Post by schlam » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:45 am

Fun.
Everey one rediscovers this "limitation" (.hhhmmm this bug ;) the same week ;)

viewtopic.php?t=245691