How do I midi map on Push 3 Standalone?

Discuss Push with other users.
bengo

How do I midi map on Push 3 Standalone?

Post by bengo » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:23 pm

Hi, long time Ableton user, first time Pusher.

How do I do "midi map" mode on Push 3 Standalone? I want to use my faderfox, and knobs on midi controllers generally, to control synths and effects like on real Ableton!

(It would be ideal if there was a way to use the 8 internal knobs in standalone mode as "anything controllers" that could midi map to things but I guess that's not possible?).

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: How do I midi map on Push 3 Standalone?

Post by [jur] » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:59 pm

If Live has a native Control Surface script for the faderfox (doesn't seem like, I'm only seeing "faderport" in the list) then it'll work out-of-the-box, according to the script's mappings.

But for plain midi mapping, you can't do it from P3S. You have to do your mappings in your set in Live, and then transfer the set to P3S.
Ableton Forum Moderator

bengo

Post by bengo » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:00 pm

for plain midi mapping, you can't do it from P3S. You have to do your mappings in your set in Live, and then transfer the set to P3S.
Oh wow, that's pretty bad!

Is this widely recognised as a problem, and on their radar?

I'm open to the idea that I'm in a niche, because forums like this are full of trigger-happy people screaming "if X doesn't fix the niche problem that matters a lot to me and only me then they should all be in prison!". I don't want to be that person.

But to me, being able to have 8 knobs mapped spontaneously to 8 things across the project, and then turn them dynamically while playing back, is absolutely central to everything that's fabulous about Ableton! If it doesn't work on Push 3 that's quite a gap, to me.

Keen to know if I'm the only one who cares about having midi map work on Push 3 Standalone!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:18 am

bengo wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:00 pm
But to me, being able to have 8 knobs mapped spontaneously to 8 things across the project, and then turn them dynamically while playing back, is absolutely central to everything that's fabulous about Ableton! If it doesn't work on Push 3 that's quite a gap, to me.
MIDI Mapped and Spontaneous, these two statements don't work together, it's either one or the other so maybe a better description of what you're looking to achieve?

Cheers
D

DavidassMagoza

Post by DavidassMagoza » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:06 pm

I think its reasonable to want to map an Ableton parameter to a controller in a spontaneous manner (ie: Arising from a natural inclination or impulse and not from forethought or prompting.)

I too would like this feature, but i think i would prefer it built in to Push’s user mode, if user mode could then be accessed in a similar way to when switching from mixer control mode to device control mode, it would be more seamless and feel more organic when using it once you mapped the performance elements you like such as cut off from Analog, filter on drums, sidechain on bass etc..

We can all dream i guess

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:43 am

It maybe reasonable but it doesn't exist in Live itself so it'd be a big call to have it in the standalone...

MIDI Mapping is permanent, not dynamic, it cannot change in Live based on logic of events or otherwise.

Cheers
D

bengo

Post by bengo » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:10 pm

I just want to be able to assign a midi cc controller to a plugin parameter quickly on Push 3 standalone, like I can with Ableton on desktop. Is that possible?

Like 29.2.1 here (and 29.2.2).

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/midi- ... e-control/

It's brilliantly useful and expressive, one of my favourite things about Ableton so I'd love to be able to do it in P3 standalone. By which I mean without using a computer at all.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:36 pm

No, you currently can't do that in Standalone mode.

bengo

Post by bengo » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:56 am

Bum!

Doesn't seem hard to implement (compared to some things people are wishing for) and feels like core Ableton functionality, so hopefully it's on their early list!

The dream would be a "performance mode" where you can assign the 8 knobs and 64 buttons to anything you want! A 4x4 cluster of clips, some on/off toggles, some cc toggles, two octaves of scale keyboard...

l000m

Post by l000m » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:31 pm

+1 that I'd love this feature.

The lack of midi mapping on standalone is fairly disappointing. When I'm working on a project, going back and forth to my computer to map paramaters to external controllers really defeats the primary draw of the push 3 for me (i.e., disconnecting from the screen). Adding to the frustration is that my mappings haven't always carried over.

I wish there was some word on if/when standalone mapping functionality was coming. Will continue to hope for updates.

Otherwise, I quite enjoy the push 3.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:57 pm

bengo wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:56 am
Doesn't seem hard to implement
You're right, it doesn't seem. Let's just hope it is not!
:wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Feyerabend

Post by Feyerabend » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm

l000m wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:31 pm
The lack of midi mapping on standalone is fairly disappointing.
Absolutely...

Just_Pierre

Post by Just_Pierre » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:22 pm

I also would like midi mapping on the Push 3 Standalone, looks like a basic function to me.

kreativsein

Post by kreativsein » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:44 pm

hey i got a m4l device what can map midi cc to a premapped external controller programmed by elisabethhomeland.
iam not sure regarding sharing this script, i have to ask before but i can show u the way it works. if u are interested in ^^

here is how i use it. premapped midifighter https://youtu.be/uBU-G68UMrs

kingof9x

Post by kingof9x » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:04 am

I found a decent workflow for mapping midi devices for push stand alone. It would be nice to have a way to do this on the device but once i have my midi device mapped i don't need to change it very often.

I have an fx rack i lut together on my 2nd fx send mapped to a midi twister. When its all set i save the live set and put it in the template folder on push stand alone. Then when i want to use the fx rack and my midi controller in a blank session i just open the template. I tried setting it as the default template but that caused some problems when i had to downgrade my push beta to 11 to be able to update to 12 on the push.