MIDI controller ignored when recording to Arrangement

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mikeyboy75

Re: MIDI controller ignored when recording to Arrangement

Post by mikeyboy75 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:16 pm

Cheers for the responses everyone.

Well, having played around with this a lot I think this is indeed the way it's supposed to work, as you say jur. When you do an arrangement recording, it puts the played clips into blocks into the arrangements, and if you edit one it changes all of them. So it actually makes sense that you shouldn't be able to add anything to them when recording really.
But actually I think that behaviour is odd, and I'd prefer it just to output one long MIDI clip for each track, not the clip/blocks how it does it now.

And MIDI controller data is at the track level, so you can play/record that while doing the Arrangement record. I have a lot of patches where the modwheel is used, so I'll just have to remap it or create another track just for playing with that.

It still surprises me that this is how it's setup, and also that no-one else has really noticed it or questioned it before. I haven't heard back from Ableton yet, but if they do respond it looks likely that they'll just say that this is how it's designed.

Valkon

Re: MIDI controller ignored when recording to Arrangement

Post by Valkon » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:28 am

mikeyboy75 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:16 pm

It still surprises me that this is how it's setup, and also that no-one else has really noticed it or questioned it before. I haven't heard back from Ableton yet, but if they do respond it looks likely that they'll just say that this is how it's designed.
Good afternoon! Could you share the contents of the technical support response about this problem?